Squeak When Downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mfennema

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I am driving down the road and I push the gas to speed up and the transmission downshifts, I get a small squeak. It is just one chirp, but it consistently happens every time the trans downshifts. Anybody have any ideas where I should start looking to figure out what it could be, or how to diagnose it?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your avatar, it looks like you have a Tahoe. What year, trans do you have? It could be the torque converter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I am driving down the road and I push the gas to speed up and the transmission downshifts, I get a small squeak. It is just one chirp, but it consistently happens every time the trans downshifts. Anybody have any ideas where I should start looking to figure out what it could be, or how to diagnose it?
its the serpentine belt (transmissions don't squeak), you could try replacing the belt and/or the tensioner but it may not make any difference.

OP
OP
mfennema

mfennema

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From your avatar, it looks like you have a Tahoe. What year, trans do you have? It could be the torque converter.
It is a 2015 LTZ. I believe it's a 6L80 but I'm not certain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mfennema

mfennema

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its the serpentine belt (transmissions don't squeak), you could try replacing the belt and/or the tensioner but it may not make any difference.
Wouldn't I hear it chirp at other times than just the single chirp I hear immediately as it downshifts?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't I hear it chirp at other times than just the single chirp I hear immediately as it downshifts?
not necessarily, I guess if you pushed the pedal hard enough it might chirp in other gears I could make my Yukon do it if I just added a little lead in my foot, you could try rubbing some "ski" wax on the belt or try some of that belt spray that is sold at most autoparts stores rather than running out and replacing the belt just to verify