Squeak coming from front driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codsack17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2016 LTZ Tahoe 4wd with 80k miles. There's a squeak coming from the front driver's side suspension. Thought it was the struts so replaced with the Rough Country loaded strut and leveling kit. Wasn't that. Replaced the sway bar end links and bushings and wasn't that. The squeak isn't there when I first start driving. It constant in rougher roads around town. Could it be a control arm or ball joint or tie rod? Any ideas are appreciated I'm about ready to give up on this thing

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Constant on rougher roads leads me to believe that it is either a ball joint or a control arm bushing. If you have wheel center caps, remove and see if noise is gone. If can lube ball joints, do it and drive. If still have noise, spray silicone cone all over the control arm bushings and drive.

Welcome to the forum and your first post.

OP
OP
Codsack17

Codsack17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Constant on rougher roads leads me to believe that it is either a ball joint or a control arm bushing. If you have wheel center caps, remove and see if noise is gone. If can lube ball joints, do it and drive. If still have noise, spray silicone cone all over the control arm bushings and drive.

Welcome to the forum and your first post.
Thank you definitely will try when I get off work. I've sprayed the control arm bushings and it didn't help but maybe I didn't spray them enough. I was leaning towards changing out the control arms and ball joints but I was seeing if I could narrow it down without throwing money at it. Thank you again

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at how much play you have in your ball joints? Jack up the front and remove the tire and then with a pry bar, see how much play you have on your ball joints. If it’s enough to be fairly noticeable, I’d go ahead and replace.

OP
OP
Codsack17

Codsack17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you looked at how much play you have in your ball joints? Jack up the front and remove the tire and then with a pry bar, see how much play you have on your ball joints. If it’s enough to be fairly noticeable, I’d go ahead and replace.
I haven't done that yet but I will. It's going to be a few days before I can get to it. I'll try that and I'm going to go ahead and lube the ball joints see if it helps. Thank you

OP
OP
Codsack17

Codsack17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It may take more time but you could spray one part at a time and maybe help narrow your search.
I have sprayed the bushings but that didn't help. I replaced a few. But I'm going to try spraying them again see if it helps.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have sprayed the bushings but that didn't help. I replaced a few. But I'm going to try spraying them again see if it helps.
Spraying them with whatever is not going to stop it. If there is more than a millimeter of movement in the upper or lower ball joint, it's no good. Half a millimeter for the tie rods.

Have a go-pro? You could stick it under there and move it around to locate the offender.

OP
OP
Codsack17

Codsack17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Spraying them with whatever is not going to stop it. If there is more than a millimeter of movement in the upper or lower ball joint, it's no good. Half a millimeter for the tie rods.

Have a go-pro? You could stick it under there and move it around to locate the offender.
I do have a go-pro and I'll try that out. I'm going to lube the ball joints one at time also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike_16_denali