Sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditbg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning. I have a 1997 yukon with 114000 miles. i recently moved and was hauling some stuff nothing to heavy but on a hill it felt like the truck was sputtering/ stalling it drives well on regular highway and street driving only does it while climbing.. anybody have suggestions as to what it might be its not giving me a service engine light and was tuned up around 1 year ago with all ac delco parts including fuel filter. Any help would be great

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I have a 1997 yukon with 114000 miles. i recently moved and was hauling some stuff nothing to heavy but on a hill it felt like the truck was sputtering/ stalling it drives well on regular highway and street driving only does it while climbing.. anybody have suggestions as to what it might be its not giving me a service engine light and was tuned up around 1 year ago with all ac delco parts including fuel filter. Any help would be great

Did it sputter at all before your tune up?

OP
OP
B

Banditbg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did it sputter at all before your tune up?
Its been running great after the tune up been on a few long road trips with out any problems. This just happened earlier this month ive also noticed after being parked and putting the truck in reverse it does a very slight sputter and again when i put it in drive but other than that it drives great.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your cylinder misfires and fuel trims. Even the $29.00 bluetooth scanners will do that. Check your coolant in the radiator. Clean and Full? Or low and dirty? Let us Know we will help.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure or check for clogged/high back pressure at the cat(s).

x2

Fuel pressure spec is 60-66 psi with ignition on/engine off.

The stumbling uphill (increased engine load) was something mine did when I had a damaged converter. Here is GM’s procedure for checking for an exhaust restriction. In lieu of the specific tool that they mention, you could probably rig one together fairly easily.

Adjustments.jpg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Banditbg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry for the late response i will check into these suggestions. I will be off next week.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for the suggestion to check your fuel pressure and for exhaust restriction.

Did your tune-up include new cap and rotor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2