Sporadically switches into 4 Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geuse8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2007 Tahoe LS that will randomly jump into 4wd Hi. The switch will still be set at 2wd, but the indicator light will show that it is in 4Hi. No error messages. I will not even notice it until I feel the extra resistance when I try to turn. I replace the actuator in the front differential yesterday, but it still switches to 4 Hi. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Likely a transfer case encoder motor problem. You need a Tech 2 on it to see what mode is commanded vs. what mode is actual.

Any drivetrain codes or DIC messages?

OP
OP
G

Geuse8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Likely a transfer case encoder motor problem. You need a Tech 2 on it to see what mode is commanded vs. what mode is actual.

Any drivetrain codes or DIC messages?
Thanks, Fless. No codes that my cheap reader can see. I have a friend that owns a Snap-On diagnostics tool. Trying to catch up with him - I'm sure it will pick up more issues than mine.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fless. No codes that my cheap reader can see. I have a friend that owns a Snap-On diagnostics tool. Trying to catch up with him - I'm sure it will pick up more issues than mine.
Let us know how you make out with it.

OP
OP
G

Geuse8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, connected my buddy's Modis Ultra and had no codes. Found a 4WD switch on Rock Auto for $25, so I decided to throw another part at it. So far, so good! it has not jumped into 4WD since replacing the switch 5 days ago. Before replacing the switch, it would have jumped into 4 Hi several times in this time frame. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks y'all!

UpAndDown

Reaction score
I just had a very similar issue but my 08 went into 4 hi and wouldn’t come out no matter what position was selected with the knob. I also got a 4wd system error message. Mine turned out to be the transfer case control module which is located behind the selector switch in the dashboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts