Speedo/Tach/Oil Pressure stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I tried searching several ways, I promise!

I was driving home today and noticed my speedo, tach, and oil pressure gauge stopped working. I tried cycling through the DIC and saw some other things were not reporting, like oil life and a few other things. The pointers for the gas and temp gauges weren't at zero, but I don't think either were accurate.

Shut it off, pulled out and replaced the key and then cycled the ignition on, those gauges that were reading zero didn't "sweep" during the initial ignition cycle.

Of course since the codes are probably in the BCM, my OBD2 reader doesn't see any codes. What have you all seen with this, if anyone else has experienced it? I'll get a real scan with a Tech2 or better, hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.

TIA

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I tried searching several ways, I promise!

I was driving home today and noticed my speedo, tach, and oil pressure gauge stopped working. I tried cycling through the DIC and saw some other things were not reporting, like oil life and a few other things. The pointers for the gas and temp gauges weren't at zero, but I don't think either were accurate.

Shut it off, pulled out and replaced the key and then cycled the ignition on, those gauges that were reading zero didn't "sweep" during the initial ignition cycle.

Of course since the codes are probably in the BCM, my OBD2 reader doesn't see any codes. What have you all seen with this, if anyone else has experienced it? I'll get a real scan with a Tech2 or better, hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.

TIA
How old is your battery? Grounds good? Other then the issues you're having, hiw's it running? Any stumbling, missing or running rough? Have the same amount of power, or does the power seem down?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like Tony said. I would suspect and inspect the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Also, check all ground locations for same. They are under hood and along parts of the frame. A great way to locate is to sign up at alldatadiy.com for a year and get all the same info shops use when working on rigs. There may even be a ground problem behind the cluster. Have you done any dash work at all recently?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is also exactly why some of us think it is an electrical/ground problem. They can be notoriously intermittent.