specific autoride question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
specific autoride question - updated

has anyone had very obviously blown air shocks, like mine, but the compressor still work properly? mine is only coming on at startup for 5-7 seconds and thats it. never hear it any other time.

obviously im buying shocks in the very near future. going with the OE remans from arnott. hoping the compressor will give me a year or so before it needs replaced.

Dorman compressors seem to have a bad rap with the exhaust valves. does anyone know if they have fixed this issue?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

also, will OE NNBS air shocks fit NBS? the arnott rebuilts are the same PN. i have a chance for a set of low mileage 2011 escalade air shocks for $250. seems very clean. no rips. worth it? if i got 3-4 years from them i would be happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no has experienced their compressor working properly with holy shocks? sounds weird but it does. i got my new shocks already. we'll see if i have time this weekend to install.

garrinchilders

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have another post in this same section with pretty much the same question. Mine does just like yours. Ordering my arnott's tonight. from my research it does appear to be the same units from 02-11ish

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope so lol. i got the pair for $210 shipped. 2011 escalade shocks. different PNs but GM is notorious for giving 10 PNs to the same thing. physically the same shock. very clean and nice shape.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your explanation of the problem doesn't really make sense, if the compressor is running and air is reaching the shocks, and they are blown, the compressor should, by design, keep running. There could be a kink or blockage in the air line, thats my only guess given your symptoms. I have installed a few Dormon compressors and have never had a problem with them, they are built well IMO, better then the Arnotts. Do you have any service dash errors? You can test the system by placing a load on the rear and seeing if the vehicle still auto levels. Easy way to do this is go buy a bunch of bags of salt or sand at home depot, load them into the rear of the truck, and the return them ;)

I would avoid the Arnott remans. I do not know about the NNBS shocks. I would suggest either Arnott/Bilstein shocks or the Monroe speciality shocks. I do have a set of Monroe front shocks for sale. You don't want to get cheap with this system, it will just keep giving you problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i know for a fact both shocks have holes.

no lights on the dash. rides fantastic otherwise. the auto dampening is awesome.

how many miles are on the monroes and how much do you want for them? wasnt monroe the OE for these front shocks? Im in the aftermarket autopart business. on the manufacturing side for very large brand names and very high volume sales. stock replacement type stuff. wish we made these. I can tell you for a fact monroe is shit. but they have a few things they do well. these may be one of them. ive even worked with ex monroe engineers who say they are shit also.

when the compressor stops i hear air leak quickly for about 2 seconds.

i could see the compressor stopping if its at proper height according to the sensors. i have some weight here i could throw in it to see if it will run and run like it should.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

good idea with the sandbags lol.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM shocks, front and rear, are made by Monroe but stamped with some GM names like ACDELCO and may visually vary in color and/or stickers. The NBS generation autoride uses electronically controlled valves in the shock bodies to dynamically alter the stiffness based on input from the SCM. This technology was developed either by Monroe or with Monroe, they are the only manufacturer that makes these electronically valved shocks, to my knowledge (they call it a specialty product).

Which makes me think, now, that the NNBS shock will not work with your vehicle. The NNBS generation uses a magnetic fluid in the shock that is electronically altered by the SCM, but this technology is made by another manufacturer and is not backwards compatible to the NBS autoride. So they may fit but I don't think the auto dampening will work. You may want to confirm this...

I have a set of Monroe 40044 with 500 miles and a GM OEM set with 80K miles (both front). I ultimately went with the Arnott/Bilstein HD shocks in the rear and the Monroe 40044 in the front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then best case i loose auto dampening? worst case, i loose auto dampening and get an error message on the dash?

im sure i could get my money back out of them if i had to. but if that were the case, how come the arnott remans are the same PN for both NBS and NNBS? i actually called them saying i was buying a pair of their remans from someone who pulled them from a 2011. i said that so they would actually talk to me and not rush me away since i wasnt spending money with them. they said they are the same shock. all they do is rebag them.

just saw your add. if i had the money id buy the monroe fronts. thats a nice deal for someone in need. arent they close to $300 a piece new? my truck has 118k miles now. i bet i would notice the difference. the 2011 rears i just bought have 60k on them.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL I had the exact opposite happen to me. Air shocks were good but the compressor went out. B2B warranty covered it thankfully.

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanted to update this. I ended up getting a pair of 2009 escalade rears with 60k miles on them. got them for $210 shipped. very clean and in great shape. install them yesterday and have driven for about 50 miles now. no issues with stability control. the ride is outstanding and i thought it was good before. they held pressure great overnight. very happy with them. if i get 2-3 years out of them ill be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons