Spark plug wires, which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He mate, I don't completely understand your advice. Stick with OEM or not? And I thought of heatshields for the MSD wires for these: https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-46893345/bougiekabels/8x-titanium-bougiedop-heat-protector/ but the dude said it is not necessary. But aside from that, could you explain it in a other words/way so I understand your reply :) ?
My apologies. My brain works faster than my mouth or my fingers, so I often confuse a lot of people. Add in the fact that I’m partially deaf, so I talk really quiet and nobody can hear what I’m saying 90% of the time. But for me it always feels like I’m yelling when I talk.

Anyways.

My previous post was suggesting that you use OEM ACDelco plugs (41-162 / 19417055) and wires. I see you’re already going with different wires, but if you have headers (or anything other than stock exhaust manifold) then you WANT heat protectors for your plug wires.

diLucca

Reaction score
He mate, I don't completely understand your advice. Stick with OEM or not? And I thought of heatshields for the MSD wires for these: https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-46893345/bougiekabels/8x-titanium-bougiedop-heat-protector/ but the dude said it is not necessary. But aside from that, could you explain it in a other words/way so I understand your reply :) ?

These heat shield are maybe worth if you were running Long/Short Tubes manifold, as Alpha_Omega Yukon wrote. And he also wrote to stick with OEM.

But friend have longtubes with MSD wires without heat shields, and it is OK.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These heat shield are maybe worth if you were running Long/Short Tubes manifold, as Alpha_Omega Yukon wrote. And he also wrote to stick with OEM.

I'm running stock wires with my long tubes.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies. My brain works faster than my mouth or my fingers, so I often confuse a lot of people. Add in the fact that I’m partially deaf, so I talk really quiet and nobody can hear what I’m saying 90% of the time. But for me it always feels like I’m yelling when I talk.

Anyways.

My previous post was suggesting that you use OEM ACDelco plugs (41-162 / 19417055) and wires. I see you’re already going with different wires, but if you have headers (or anything other than stock exhaust manifold) then you WANT heat protectors for your plug wires.
Sad to hear that mate, you got that since you're born or did you got it with a accident or something?

Thanks for the explanation. I took a look @ the DEI website, looks kinda like the boots that my local American shop is selling also. So would headers ever come, I will go with a set I showed or like this which looks the same as the DEI protectors: https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-46848095/bougiekabels/8x-bougiedop-heat-protector-blauw/ or just the titanium ones from his website.

Yes I took a look under the hood and don't see a problem without protectors on stock headers. My headers also have headshields.
I'm running stock wires with my long tubes.
Thanks for the input. Well if ACDelco was available for a comparable price as in the US I would bought those. But because they are not in the EU, with shipping and taxes I can get the MSD's for a few bugs more including warranty. And as said, he has some ACDelco parts, he said if my others wires where so bad, I would sell ACDelco wires also..

Really appreciate all your peoples input!!

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check Taylor, they used be made in UK, so can be also cheaper without duties.
Yes but still the problem with warranty and the pound sucks so it cost me the same as the MSD's because I can get them local.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but still the problem with warranty and the pound sucks so it cost me the same as the MSD's because I can get them local.
Today my mechanic mate called that he's going to order from Rockauto. He will do a big order and will see what the ACDelco's will cost me. If they are cheaper this way I might go for the Delcos after all ;)

diLucca

Reaction score
Today my mechanic mate called that he's going to order from Rockauto. He will do a big order and will see what the ACDelco's will cost me. If they are cheaper this way I might go for the Delcos after all ;)

Beware some delco stuff are repacked cheap stuff (advantage) Try to stick GM Genuine with delco.

I ordered Delphi, and they were OEM Packard wires.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today my mechanic called that he's going to order from Rockauto. He will do a big order and will see what the ACDelco's will cost me. If they are cheaper this way I might go for the Delco
s after all ;)
Beware some delco stuff are repacked cheap stuff (advantage) Try to stick GM Genuine with delco.

I ordered Delphi, and they were OEM Packard wires.
I did, Rockauto is not Ali Express xD

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, Rockauto is not Ali Express xD
AC Delco has 3 levels of quality. AC Delco OEM is top of the pack, followed by AC Delco Professional or Gold, which is 2nd in line and can be bad, and AC Delco Advantage or Silver which is usually crap. Just because it says AC Delco, even from RockAuto, make sure you are getting the right level of quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSurfer5300