Spark Plug Change - Boots too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed at length. I tried searching the forum, and couldn't find a clear answer on this question

2012 LS 5.3 2WD 96K Miles

The spark plug maintenance interval for my Wife's Tahoe is approaching. In my limited research, I think I understand that the original metal? boots can be problematic to remove, often becoming damaged in the process. Is it recommended to buy new plug boot wiring assemblies when replacing the plugs?

I have attached photos of the old / new boots, and what's in my cart at RockAuto. Are these parts the best replacements?

I've read through the forum posts, and see the best tool stack up for removing the #8 plug is

3/8 ratchet
3/4" short socket
5/8" spark plug socket

I also see that removing the passenger side wheel well liner is recommended for access

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911_090531.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911_090531.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220911_090717.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911_090717.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 22

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Correct plug wires and correct plugs. Also good choice on the tool. I have the same tool and they work great. Use a deep 5/8" socket that will reach the 6 point of the plug, not a spark plug socket, and a 3/8" ratchet, like @Rocket Man said. Reuse the metal heat shields. They swap easily when wire is off. Double check the plug gap to all be the same. Sometimes, in shipping, they get hit and close a little. If all look the same, they should be good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Correct plug wires and correct plugs. Also good choice on the tool. I have the same set and they work great. Use a deep 5/8" socket that will reach the 6 point of the plug, not a spark plug socket, and a 3/8" ratchet. Reuse the metal heat shields. They swap easily when wire is off. Double check the plug gap to all be the same. Sometimes, in shipping, they get hit and close a little. If all look the same, they should be good.

Thank you sir!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dialectic grease hopefully comes with the plug wires but doesn't hurt to get some just in case and have it in stock at home.

Yup better applicator and less waste. Instead of trying to squeeze it out of a tear in a plastic pouch. Just a little on the inside tip of the boot and uses your pinky finger to spread it around a little. Just a thin coat, don't over do it. And don't pick your nose afterwards.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct plug wires and correct plugs. Also good choice on the tool. I have the same set and they work great. Use a deep 5/8" socket that will reach the 6 point of the plug, not a spark plug socket, and a 3/8" ratchet. Reuse the metal heat shields. They swap easily when wire is off. Double check the plug gap to all be the same. Sometimes, in shipping, they get hit and close a little. If all look the same, they should be good.

Be careful when you check the plug gap, be gentle with the gauge. The platinum or iridium tips can be damaged if not careful.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update. I swapped the plugs this morning. Removing the passenger wheel and wheel well liner made accessing plug #8 much easier. All in all, not a bad job at all. Thanks for all the helpful tips! Great forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne