Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17 LS Suburban with the standard 18 inch wheel and tire size. I would like to replace my temporary spare with a full service spare tire. Will it fit in the spare tire carrier?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop it, take one of yours off and put it up there.
In the nbs or nnbs threads someone got a 31 or 33” tire up there and all they had to do was trim the rear portion of the hitch receiver

OP
OP
Rdr854

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's too easy.
Changing a tire on a Suburban or Tahoe is a PIA with the OEM supplied jack system. But, that said, I was able to get a full size spare tire assembly. The unfortunate piece is that according to GM Parts Authority, there is no 18" steel wheel. Thus, I had to purchase an aluminum wheel. Fortunately, my dealer was willing to price match.

As far as the use of these temporary spare tires go, it is important to note that you will lose some functionality on your truck. According to the owner's manual, the max speed is 70 MPH and you cannot engage the 4-wheel drive. I'll never understand why GM can't provide an 18" steel wheel with a full service tire. The weight penalty for fuel economy cannot be thatmuch.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost savings. Just be glad there's a spare period. The new thing you know is no spare nor jack. We're supposed to depend on roadside assistance even there's those of us who live in states that only have partial cell coverage.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing a tire on a Suburban or Tahoe is a PIA with the OEM supplied jack system. But, that said, I was able to get a full size spare tire assembly. The unfortunate piece is that according to GM Parts Authority, there is no 18" steel wheel. Thus, I had to purchase an aluminum wheel. Fortunately, my dealer was willing to price match.

As far as the use of these temporary spare tires go, it is important to note that you will lose some functionality on your truck. According to the owner's manual, the max speed is 70 MPH and you cannot engage the 4-wheel drive. I'll never understand why GM can't provide an 18" steel wheel with a full service tire. The weight penalty for fuel economy cannot be thatmuch.

Mine has a full size spare underneath with no restrictions from the factory. It's on a steel wheel. All car companies are being forced by government regulations to make them as fuel efficient as possible. When my father bought his new Kia recently, the spare tire and tools were optional and extra.

My minivans all had compact spares, as did some of my cars from the 1980s and 1990s. All of them were replaced with full sized spares with the same kind of wheel.

The era of self-sufficiency is fading fast!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didnt like the donut in the trunk with its own little wheel well and cardboad with the big ass wingnut holding it all down?....lol

No! My GNs though had a much larger "donut" compared with the one in the Oldsmobile. It was the same height but skinnier. Some guys would put two on the front at the drags! Poor man's skinnies!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Mine has a full size spare underneath with no restrictions from the factory. It's on a steel wheel. All car companies are being forced by government regulations to make them as fuel efficient as possible. When my father bought his new Kia recently, the spare tire and tools were optional and extra.

My minivans all had compact spares, as did some of my cars from the 1980s and 1990s. All of them were replaced with full sized spares with the same kind of wheel.

The era of self-sufficiency is fading fast!
Tire Mobility Kit. Came on an Infiniti convertible. Doesn't even come with a spare. You're screwed if you get a blow out.20180225_145804.jpg 20180225_145743.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither do the the GM hybrid SUVs. I bought one of their air pumps with that tire goo to air up the tires on my truck. Still have bottle jack and tools and also keep an old fashioned tire plug kit in all of our vehicles. All of my daughters know how to and have plugged a flat tire. I even had the pleasure of training up one of my city slicker nephews to plug tires too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep