Spare tire removed 2006 Yukon XL SLT .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got to love that second latch on the 2006 Yukon XL talk about dumb crap . I worked on it for 2 hours to get dam latch unhooked .. can someone clue me why hell did GM do that ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know I always figured just drop the cable farther then needed, pull some cable length and turn the latch sideways and the bell fits thru the hole, if I ran into that problem I would just cut the cable and install a new system later

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the 2006 and newerhave that dam second latch . It's a bugger. This guy on YouTube showed me what I was dealing with otherwise cable would of got cut . And still been hanging there lol.

kybob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good info, much appreciated.
Does the 04 have this as well?
I haven’t need my spare ( yet ) but when I do........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kybob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After looking at several videos ( which I should have done first ) it appears it does. And since it’s an 04, I’m betting it’s not gonna want to come apart easily. But , no matter how hard it is, it’s still gonna be better to figure this out at home rather than have a flat somewhere.
Thanks again for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a bit of a tip that help you out might not make sense now but it will if it's stuck like mine . Take rear license plate off and get long rod and hammer .
Push boot down out of the way and hit on the second Dairy latch but weight needs to be off it so jack tire up also . If doesnt work spin tire 180 and hit otherside it will release . Me and my brother did it and yes takes 4 hands what pain in the arss. [emoji849][emoji15]
It's like dam puzzle . I'm glad I was in yard not on the freeway changing a tire . I think some insurance company dreamt that one up in 2004 . It's a doozy.
It's like a sleeping nightmare. Wonder how many tow truck guys made big jack thru the years .lol

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoever comes across this.. make sure you're using the box end of the crank down tool and not the center-cap removal/jack end tip to lower the spare. I've seen far too many people sticking the jack end tip into the hole and wondering why it's not lowering and then messing around with the latch mechanism when it's not necessary. Hope this helps someone.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Secondary latch isn't salt belt friendly .. I think GM did it so the spare wouldnt fall off if the cable broke. It's a evil latch . lol read the manual it tells you how it's suppose to work lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal