spare tire mechanism stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time my spare didn't want to lower on my Envoy, once I did finally get it down, I flipped the spare upside down then raised it.

This allows the secondary latch to not engage due to being lower than before. I only needed to snug the tire against the frame just a bit more than before, but not overly tight and never had any problems since, never worked it's way loose either.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another video. Super short and a bit of a different method. I did try hammering on the hook part like the other video without any luck. I will try this tomorrow.
Also watched another video where they used a ratchet straps to hole the tire up and went through the center hole with a large flat head screwdriver and banged on the hook part at that angle. It's seems to be rust holding the hook in the out/open position and not retracting.

Good Luck!!
Thank you for that. I need to get my spare down and lubricate that latch.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't want my spare stem up (upside down from the way the factory wants me to install it) just to defeat the safety. I want to be able to check the spare pressure periodically. I also want the safety working as designed as I am fond of having a spare tire where it is stored and not passing me down that winding road on my way to get groceries.

I do crank mine down every few years, lube and clean everything so when I need it and it is a raining/snowing/worst day ever, I want it to be as easy as possible. I will already be in bad mood, I don't need a bunch of very loud bad words thrown in as well. :)

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This might have been the 3rd or 4th time the spare tire was dropped since we got the truck in 06 and I think only once was for a flat. I never did any kind of maintenance to it. DUMB on my part but that said, the safety was not rusted. I didn't look into it but it looks like the spring or whatever held the hook in the closed position was not functioning. May look into it, may not as I do not think the spare will be going back under the truck.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This might have been the 3rd or 4th time the spare tire was dropped since we got the truck in 06 and I think only once was for a flat. I never did any kind of maintenance to it. DUMB on my part but that said, the safety was not rusted. I didn't look into it but it looks like the spring or whatever held the hook in the closed position was not functioning. May look into it, may not as I do not think the spare will be going back under the truck.
I defeated the safety on my last burb and put the spare back. I crank mine down with every tire rotation and lube the snot out of the winch.

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the new spare location. DIY with a tilting bike rack and a trailer spare attachment. Took off the part that holds the bikes, attached the trailer rack then drilled a hole through the center and added an extra bolt. 20210625_155049.jpg20210625_155041.jpg20210625_155108.jpg