Sooooooo, I bought a PPV ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an LED version of those projectors you have? Or, I guess what I should ask is if there's an LED bulb for them that works as good in them as HID.

There's a set of these not far from me that look to be in like-new condition for $100. I've never been a fan of such flashy eBay parts, but I like the squareish lights and the LED C-bar isn't such a turn-off. The projectors in these usually suck. But, for $100, I was considering getting them and retrofitting good projectors. I realize it'd be a lot more work than retrofitting stock housings like you did. It looks like I might have to shave the new lens to have flat top and bottom.

View attachment 390631

View attachment 390632

i really like those styles with the C bar running lights, actually thinkin about ordering a set and redoing my retrofit into some. these headlights are pretty easy to do once you get them popped open, you'd just need to make a bracket to support the new projector but in the talks I had with Lightwerkz, those are pretty easy to work with

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got the time, tools, and mechanical inclination, I'd absolutely recommend a true housing retrofit. It surely is worth what you put into it, which isn't bad at all really. Also that is coming from someone (me) who turned wrenches for 15+ years for a living.

I'll definitely be retrofitting a good quality projector. It's just a matter of deciding which route to take: Putting the Mini H1 8.0 in stock housings which is the simplest, fastest and clean... but also a little boring. Or, putting in the extra work to put the 8.0 in some fancier housings.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely be retrofitting a good quality projector. It's just a matter of deciding which route to take: Putting the Mini H1 8.0 in stock housings which is the simplest, fastest and clean... but also a little boring. Or, putting in the extra work to put the 8.0 in some fancier housings.

If you do the fancier housings, you might end up with more room inside the actual headlamp assembly between the rear of it and the front cover, you could potentially fit the entire MLED projector, and those just clip into the factory wiring harness, no need for relays and such.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the fancier housings, you might end up with more room inside the actual headlamp assembly between the rear of it and the front cover, you could potentially fit the entire MLED projector, and those just clip into the factory wiring harness, no need for relays and such.

Good point! I'll have to compare the size of that to the Mini H1 8.0.

I'm taking it that those MLED projectors are way better than just using an H1-sized LED instead of HID in the Mini 8.0.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point! I'll have to compare the size of that to the Mini H1 8.0.

I'm taking it that those MLED projectors are way better than just using an H1-sized LED instead of HID in the Mini 8.0.

infinitely!

The projector has a chipset and board built into them, vs a bulb thats dropped in. they are designed 100% as self contained LEDs

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WhachuTalkinBoutLouis?
I was wondering what 22s you were talking about! What's your story on them transport wheels?
Scored them on eBay, used on one transport and have been sitting. Taking them to get powdercoated Monday, gloss black. I've got Kumho's ready to go on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd