Sooooooo, I bought a PPV ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lol:

I would love to go mirrorless and upgrade all my gear, but all my money is going into my Z06.

View attachment 374383

Good gawd, wowza they are shnazzy. I don't blame yah haha, love your ZO6 it's a pretty bad ass car.
Might as well show it off, you know photography talk nsfw talk tingly feeling talk :)

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally forgot one of the main reasons I bumped this thread. :lol:

Tailgate stopped working suddenly, just when I needed it to work most. Got time to dig into it the next day, found the glass in the rear hatch worked fine, so I knew the harness had power. I drilled the embossed "spot" on the inside for panel for the hatch, and manually unlocked the rear tailgate without an issue. Didnt even feel like busting out the multimeter, so ordered a new button for the tailgate release (all over eBay and Amazon for $15). Slapped it in and worked perfectly.

IIRC, this is the only the third problem I've had. TPS sensor failure, water pump, now the tailgate release button. Think I'm around 265k miles now? Still have zero regrets, still daily driving, still have the trainhorns, and still have people panic slam on brakes when they see me. Enjoying this thing until it literally falls apart.

View attachment 374382
What you didn't save the old one out of the old hatch...?

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ChunkePPV

Reaction score
Finally found time to get the new clock spring and the steering wheel in. Also cut out the dash trim for my DIC switch and had the cutting wheel break, pretty much ruined an otherwise perfect cut for the trim. It's beyond salvageable, without gluing on some sort of plastic piece on the face of the trim. It'll be easier to just buy the dash trim.

View attachment 182724 View attachment 182725 View attachment 182726 View attachment 182727
Hey long time, mr cranium, what part no was this steering wheel?

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have the "old" Alpine iLX-650, decided to hold off on a replacement since I drive the Tahoe a lot less. Finally bought the Moto AA adapter, holy crap it's worth it. Only driven once with it so far but it's certainly worth the $60-70.

20230128_083431.jpg20230128_103308.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an LED version of those projectors you have? Or, I guess what I should ask is if there's an LED bulb for them that works as good in them as HID.

There's a set of these not far from me that look to be in like-new condition for $100. I've never been a fan of such flashy eBay parts, but I like the squareish lights and the LED C-bar isn't such a turn-off. The projectors in these usually suck. But, for $100, I was considering getting them and retrofitting good projectors. I realize it'd be a lot more work than retrofitting stock housings like you did. It looks like I might have to shave the new lens to have flat top and bottom.

51XdcnAM3qL._AC_.jpg

51kXBzOdJ1L._AC_.jpg

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an LED version of those projectors you have? Or, I guess what I should ask is if there's an LED bulb for them that works as good in them as HID.
With Morimoto, you surely can retrofit either way (HID, LED, etc). If I did it again, I'd probably go with their top shelf LED housing to retrofit. I'm still super happy with the HID, so no plans to change.

I had a set of a similar style aftermarket headlights, should be in this thread somewhere. Actually think I made a separate thread. Anyways, they didn't look bad on truck, but even with a quality LED, the output wasn't near my expectation. Still better than stock.

If you've got the time, tools, and mechanical inclination, I'd absolutely recommend a true housing retrofit. It surely is worth what you put into it, which isn't bad at all really. Also that is coming from someone (me) who turned wrenches for 15+ years for a living.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2