Soooo Disappointing :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a long time member of performance trucks.net and I've seen Justin tune trucks that had $30k+ into the engine without any issues. This is really got me stumped.

OP
OP
TxDrewski

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been a long time member of performance trucks.net and I've seen Justin tune trucks that had $30k+ into the engine without any issues. This is really got me stumped.

Thats where I scour for Tech Info on Cams/Heads and like I said, BB Wheatly and Nelson pretty much own the GM tuning market for gas applications, Just like " Idaho Rob" and the Duramax's.

Im pretty set on Wheatly, I was just wondering what other Tuners with a good Rep where around this area.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey now, don't forget Kory Willis for the Dmax!!! [emoji41]

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear most on here are very happy with Black Bear.
Personally I think you should pick a tuner that is near you.
That is why I have been thinking of going to Nelson Performance myself.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No offense, but you live in Tx. There is a TON of tuners there. Id go get a real tune. Nothing against Black Bear, but they are cookie cutter tunes. I know of a few high dollar trucks that have had black bear tunes, well needless to say, it wasnt pretty. just my .02

Please do enlighten us....:hmmm2:

Cookie cutter? By what means? Traditional tune yes....however, inperson/scan cable/AutoCal/dyno are not really cookie cutter.

High dollar trucks? :emotions133:

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Thats where I scour for Tech Info on Cams/Heads and like I said, BB Wheatly and Nelson pretty much own the GM tuning market for gas applications, Just like " Idaho Rob" and the Duramax's.

Im pretty set on Wheatly, I was just wondering what other Tuners with a good Rep where around this area.

Keep in mind, if you purchased an AutoCal that is from a BBP customer, it is locked to BBP. Can not be used with/by another tuner. AutoCals are locked to their original tuners V2. If I recall, Wheatley no longer uses EFILive (which is what AutoCals use) as his equipment was stolen. He uses HPTuners, which is not AutoCal compatible.

Also, what email are you sending from? I don't see any unread emails from an Andrew or Drew.

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but headers, intake and exhaust is mainly for sound lol. BUT they are great supporting mods for a cam and stall.

I did what you did, intake, exhaust and headers then got the tune and it was just more peppy than anything. Then I got a cam and stall and hello! now my fat pig moves. Then it should be gears and then boost.

But it gets expensive trying to make something this heavy fast. You would be better off building a silverado/sierra. OR 6.0/4L80 swap with a good cam and stall.

Lol this is what i was trying to say earlier heads exhaust tune gives some pep but you need them gears to get you goin
but yes i totally agree with you i did the same thing exhaust intake heads and a tune and all that mumbo jumbo and it sounded great had a little more pep but i did not see a dramatic increase untill i installed the 4l60E i rebuilt with the performance rebuilt kit and high stall converter with a vette servo shift kit and all that next month im finally doing a cam with all new valve train

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxDrewski

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind said:
Txdrewski@gmail. I offered to pay for the tune, the 2nd email i received stated that since I had purchased it from a member, if they had received a tune, there would be no cost to me. I explained that I would prefer to pay for a tune, I bought the auto cal to tune two vehicles, it didn't seem right to me to get the tune for free based on someone elses purchase or account. The next email was a link, the link required me to input the users email address, obviously I don't think that's gonna happen lol, Im not going to ask a member for their email and log on info to get a tune. 2nd email was the exact same link. Thats as far as the emails go. If the tuner is locked to BB (Charlie was confident that even though the unit was used, he can still tune with it), I will post it for sale in the classifieds for the price I paid for it, for those members who are okay with buying it and being limited to one tuner.

If I can't offer to purchase a tune that was going to be free anyway, and get a timely response, and more than just a link in the email, I will use another tuner. No disrespect to you or anyone else at BB, Im sure that your tunes (as well as others mentioned) are top notch and not "cookie cutter". The opinions of others are certainly not mine, I have my own based off of my likes/dislikes.
I understand that small business' get busy, I dont doubt that everyone at BB has good intentions. I have gotten better one on one results, with a tuner that is closer to me, so that just seems like the better route to pursue IMO. But thanks for reading and responding to the thread!

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

Lol this is what i was trying to say earlier heads exhaust tune gives some pep but you need them gears to get you goin
but yes i totally agree with you i did the same thing exhaust intake heads and a tune and all that mumbo jumbo and it sounded great had a little more pep but i did not see a dramatic increase untill i installed the 4l60E i rebuilt with the performance rebuilt kit and high stall converter with a vette servo shift kit and all that next month im finally doing a cam with all new valve train

Yeah lesson learned lol. After I get the lift/tires and all the audio stuff installed, Ill be looking at texas speed and performance in Houston for a heads/cam package. That way i can take some time off and head to Houston for a couple of days, get the heads/cam in and have the Hoe tuned. With DYNO results!

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No problem, just wanted you to understand what the deal with the AutoCal was. The AutoCal is indeed locked to our V2, another user can't use it, unless it is unlocked by EFILive.

I looked up your email, assuming that you had not been responded to, and found that you had quite a chain going on, with your last email sent on Friday, and the response email sent on Tuesday (after a holiday).

The link that was provided was the link to follow for the instructions, your info is already in there, you just needed to input your serial number and your email address. As far as the "free" tune, looks like Justin was just checking to see if the AutoCal had been used before. If the slot had not been used, he was not going to charge you for the tune (as that is included in the original AutoCal price). But the AutoCal had been used, as one of the tune slots was taken up.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, best of luck! I had an 04 Tahoe, with the right mods, she would get up and go!

OP
OP
TxDrewski

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I looked up your email, assuming that you had not been responded to, and found that you had quite a chain going on, with your last email sent on Friday, and the response email sent on Tuesday (after a holiday). [/QUOTE]

When I initially started posting, I had no response to the email I sent the 26th.

My first email was sent on the 25th explaining where I got the unit. Jarred emailed me the next day. Then Justin asked for the members info, and stated that if it HAD been tuned, there would be no charge to me.
I explained I would rather pay for a tune, I had the money set aside for it. It was two full days later before I got a response. Both of the provided links just take me to the Auto Cal order page, I get an error message "Login Failed".
Now at no time was I given a login name. i assumed that because I was asked for the members first and last name that I purchased the unit from, and because I was using the serial # from that unit, their login was required (since Im not a customer). So after the last email I sent on the 29th, by the time I responded too on Sept 2nd, I had already contacted Charlie. The email on the 02nd Did state at the bottom to use MY email to login. Info that I coulda used on the 26th :). There are 9 emails from us back and forth, over the course of
8 days.

I have 14 emails back and forth from charlie, starting that Saturday night until Sunday afternoon, at the end of which I was given two contact #s.

Im not trying to bash you guys at all. It was just a bad experience, im sure its not common, but... +1 Charlie for customer service.

[/QUOTE]Sorry it didn't work out for you, best of luck! I had an 04 Tahoe, with the right mods, she would get up and go![/QUOTE]

You had FI!!! Jeez I want to go that route SOOOO Badly but a built motor should net the same HP and cost less... But damn, the "wow" factor is certainly with the supercharger lol. I should have bought those AEM headers from you, would have turned out to be a few hundred bucks cheaper on me in the long run, but you live and learn lol. You were very helpful and prompt with your responses, and I admire the fact that you are here defending BlackBear. I wish this much effort would have went into the emails I received when I first inquired about a tune.

I was warned that any post about any other tuner aside from BlackBear would turn out just like this lol. Brand "X" is better than Brand "Y" because I have brand "X" and my cousins best friends aunts sister has "Y" and it did this/didn't do that..

Here is what I am going to do, in the interest of :science/fairness/curiosity/baby Jesus and Tom Cruise.

Im going to hold off on the heads/cam package. The "Cookie cutter" comment really bothers me. When I think of "Cookie Cutter" tunes I think of :
Edge
Hypertech
Quadzilla
Diablo
Bully Dog
Etc Etc

Next to the Moates QuaterHorse software we used to use on the OBD1 mustangs (ahh the good ole days), I think the Autocal is the best Non "canned" tune you can get next to EFI live and a Dyno. At no time have I ever said that I thought BlackBear tunes were anything other than IMO, on par with other tuners and worth the money. So since this is my post, I feel kinda like an ass and partially responsible for the wee bit o drama lol. Im just a little impatient, and big on customer service, and had a bad experience.

Sooooo,

I will keep the AutoCal for now, and pay for a tune from BlackBear. I will then tune the Hoe, drive down to H-Town, and have the truck Dyno'd. I will then go and see Charlie for a tune. If the AutoCal cannot be used, I will purchase another one from Charlie, have the truck tuned, and then Dyno'd. Ill post up the results of both and let everyone see what Im pretty sure I already know. Both will net about the same results, both will be worth it, both will kick the shit out of any handheld over the counter tuner, and both will be far from "cookie cutter".

Whichever Tuner I go with ill keep to myself and sell the AutoCal (If I have to buy 2), get the Heads/Cam and another tune/dyno and throw those results on here.

Sorry to all for whats turned into more than just " Im an idiot and got headers and they didnt do what I wanted, had trouble with a tune, not sure what to do" thread that I initially wanted it to be :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic