Someone make me feel better about this markup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. Some crazy driver staring at their iPhone could slam into it the very next day. Then po-of, just like that it will never be the same.... I don't care how great a body shop claims to be; it will never be the same....

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been on the market for a Yukon AT4 this past few months and “swore” I’ll wait until I can find one for MSRP. Fast forward to today and found one nearby with a $5k markup and I have an appointment tomorrow to see it with the intent of buying.
So you had an appt on Tuesday, it is now Thursday, did you buy it???

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The used/wholesale market is crashing. MMR on an Escalade went from 113k to 98k in the past 2 months. I wouldn't pay any markup unless you're okay with the additional value loss if you were to sell the car at some point.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The used/wholesale market is crashing. MMR on an Escalade went from 113k to 98k in the past 2 months. I wouldn't pay any markup unless you're okay with the additional value loss if you were to sell the car at some point.

definitely headed that way - market correction at least.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, we were looking to get a Yukon Denali xl from our 21 Tahoe premier, we paid gms it has every option minus air ride, was $76k after tax only 17,000 miles got offered $68k so we kept it. It actually isn’t a bad offer but I figured if I could get close to what we paid I would trade up. So it’s coming down....maybe by next summer there will be some discounts/rebates coming back...maybe lol

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Market is changing a bit but not quickly in the Northeast. Many dealers still ask over sticker but a growing number are starting to sell at sticker.

With that being said, last weekend I went to MA to buy at sticker since CT dealers near me were asking for a $5k markup and adding on extra profit makers like mandatory ceramic treatment.

I now have a new ‘22 Tahoe High Country. It’s a 6/22 build and was collecting dust on the lot.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chevrolet dealer in our town has a lot of new vehicles in stock now but three months ago maybe 2 new vehicles in stock for sale so either people aren't buying or more vehicles coming from factory, but I do see buildup of inventory, so things are changing.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here as far as overall inventory - but not seeing any Yukons/Tahoes stick around very long. can't remember the last time I drove by one of the five or so GM dealers in our area and saw a Tahoe on the lot available to buy

but it's changing for sure...combination of people frustrated with lack of available inventory so they just put off buying since it's possibly not a "need" right now...

also the influx of the dealer 2023 stock inventory probably took out a lot of custom order buyers as well...buyer has an order in that maybe hasn't been accepted and mid July their sales guy tells them that the dealer has 4-6-10 2023 tahoes (as a part of their stock inventory) unspoken for that'll be delivered in the next month

dealers also aren't just blindly offering book value when buying private individuals. our 22 we sold wouldn't even generate a KBB instant cash offer (put the VIN in and said offers weren't available on that model/trim/year) and several of the dealers starting the offer with..."well the MSRP was this...how much do you want?"

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the inventory points. There is a local dealer here that sells both GMC and Chevy. They have a total of 64 new Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL's on their website including 2022 and 2023 model years. Many of them are in transit and probably spoken for, but I certainly don't remember them having that many 6 months ago. There may have been 15 or 20. So I think for someone looking for either the 5.3 or 6.2 gas engine, you definitely have more options now and probably more negotiation room.

The problem is those of us wanting the diesel, those are few and far between. Of the 64 vehicles mentioned above, only 2 are diesels. With a national constraint of only 10%, it likely isn't going to get much better soon.

I think most of the points above are valid, some kind of softening/correction seems to be coming. I just have to be patient and wait for it to come to the retail level. I don't really need a vehicle now but I'd sure like to take delivery by the end of the year.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with buying a used vehicle that has a little wear and tear, THEN have to pay an extra dealer mark up for it. Might as well buy it new with as little dealer mark up as possible.

That said, I bought my AT4 out of state. I'm in California, and the one I found after a year of searching was in Mississippi. It was there for only a week, and the dealership was so rural than no one wanted to make the trip. It had all of the basic options I wanted, so I started the buying process. This was back in March this year. As for the mark up, I paid $3k over sticker, PLUS I had to have it shipped here to California and wait a week before it arrived. The cost on the transport was $2500, but that was only because I wanted it top loaded and "super" insured. If you find one out of state, you can probably get it transported for a little less.

Overall the out of state buying process was smooth, and I would certainly do it again. Just make sure your salesman sends you pictures of your vehicle as it's being loaded on the transport vehicle. And change the gear mode back to the setting you'll drive it in once you take delivery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep