Sold my new tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks but this is different from the TSB that the other poster mentioned. This has a Sept date. This thread has now mentioned September, Oct and Nov as the beginning of the window.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a bad engine. The engine has been around for 3 years. It’s a bad batch of lifters. If your build date was within 10/2020 and 3/31/21, you MAY be impacted. Before or after that, GM used different lifters that supposedly don’t fail. Time will tell.
It may not be a bad engine but it has and has had a problem since the introduction of DFM. GM truck owners have been complaining about lifter related failures since early 2020 way outside the window you cited.

I don't get why after relating this over and over someone comes along to parrot the GM line without reference and then vanish in the night... but I have my suspicions.

Sumfknguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can chime in with my experience on my 21 Tahoe 5.3. 4k miles in i had the issue with lifters. Luckily the dealer was able to get the parts in. They replaced one side worth (8 lifters). A week in and out. A week later, same issue, this time the other side. 2 weeks in the shop due to part backorders. In the end all lifters were replaced. Disappointing to say the least. I opened a complaint with GM Corp. In the end they gave me a GM Platinum Extended Warranty. I had already purchased an extended Warranty through my local dealer to which I canceled and was able to get back the money.

Im currently at 12K miles and haven't had anymore issues. I can't say my confidence is 100% restored but I am ok with keeping it moving forward.

OP
OP
Y

yogi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update : After I sold my Tahoe I tried to find a new Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade with a diesel engine, but had no luck with that. I had been a loyal GM buyer all my life, but I then started to look at other car company's to see what they had to offer and after a long search and test drives I bought myself a Lincoln Navigator and love it.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart move. I'll be getting out of my 2021 once I take delivery of a new 2023 Toyota Sequoia or a 2022 Wagoneer. Our dealers up here are getting clobbered with bent push rods and lifter issues in the 5.3 and 6.2 V8s. Many with build dates before and after the TSB window of lifter issues. That tells me it is a design flaw and not just a parts issue. I have no confidence in this piece of junk. It will only be used as a local driver because getting stranded far from home would suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan