Sold my new tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allan1944

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's too bad, you probably worried over nothing and if it did break, so what? It's under warranty and you could drive something else until it was fixed. If your daddy didn't teach you not to buy a first year model, let us teach you that. Let others go through the teething problems of a new model's first year. I prefer at least the third if not closer to the last when all of the bugs have been worked out, err, teething problems. To each, his own.

Allan1944

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's too bad, you probably worried over nothing and if it did break, so what? It's under warranty and you could drive something else until it was fixed. If your daddy didn't teach you not to buy a first year model, let us teach you that. Let others go through the teething problems of a new model's first year. I prefer at least the third if not closer to the last when all of the bugs have been worked out, err, teething problems. To each, his own.
I have 2 Denali's - 6.2's - the 2016 at 200,000 kms failed a lifter that took out the cam. I have decided to put a long block in it ($10,000 ) plus. It is parked at the dealer waiting for an engine , probably be a month total or more. No long blocks available. I bought a new (2021 ) Yukon Denali, so far it has been great. The 2016 was a lemon in my GMC history. I have worn out a bunch of them along with 2 escalades. The mag particle suspension is a piece of very expensive crap. Removed them on my 2016 and put in a conversion - end of flashing lights and locked up corners ( along with dealers that did not understand them. ) The new truck has a lot of neat features. As soon as I can get a new Rivian I will sell them and that will be the end of a lifetime with GM. I am 78 YO.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More likely, it tells us that both banks of lifters weren't replaced when one bank went.

And warranty is not authorizing both banks, only the affected parts. Some may have been able to fight them, and force their hands to make the appropriate repair. But not in all cases for sure. My driver that had the same issue on his December build (we think) Sierra, they would only repair what was defective. He traded it in for more than he paid for it, and got a Sierra Denali with a June build.
I've spoken with a few techs and those that know this is a common issue push back and get both banks done. I am guessing, but dealerships that are dealing with this on multiple cars at once (silverado, vans, SUVs,) are pushing for both banks as a way to improve customer service. GM corporate knows this is a problem and is trying to avoid paying the dealership mechanics to do both banks. The good mechanics are pushing back

de will take care of it. I just wish someone would come out with a DFM disable. I really don't trust DFM in these trucks and can feel it engage/disengage.
In the meantime, I will change the oil after the first 3k miles and every 5k miles after that. It looks awesome and my kids love the space. I have plans to tak
The ECUs in the 20's and newer are locked. You can't buy a hand held tuner or DOD/AFM disable device, or even tune a 20 and newer unless you buy an unlocked ECU. I know HP tuners sells a swap out for $700. I find it odd that the last year of the K2xx platform is locked along with the new platform.

Someone else in this thread said that "oil is the lifeblood of the engine". He couldn't be more correct. I'm still doing my oil changes at 3000~3500 miles and I use Mobile one. I've seen way too many videos of mechanics pulling apart 5.3/6.2s from Gen 3 to Gen 5 with collapsed lifters and other issues related to changing the oil in extended intervals. Same goes for the 6L80 transmissions. Change that trans oil every 20k.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"Someone else in this thread said that "oil is the lifeblood of the engine".

@fozzi58, that was my dad that said that and drilled it in to me. He once told me that changing your engine oil before the recommended time in the owner's manual is smart and always use quality oil and filter. He said, "After all, 1/4 mile drag racers change their oil after every race because of the contaminants that get blown in to the oil".

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Denali's - 6.2's - the 2016 at 200,000 kms failed a lifter that took out the cam. I have decided to put a long block in it ($10,000 ) plus. It is parked at the dealer waiting for an engine , probably be a month total or more. No long blocks available. I bought a new (2021 ) Yukon Denali, so far it has been great. The 2016 was a lemon in my GMC history. I have worn out a bunch of them along with 2 escalades. The mag particle suspension is a piece of very expensive crap. Removed them on my 2016 and put in a conversion - end of flashing lights and locked up corners ( along with dealers that did not understand them. ) The new truck has a lot of neat features. As soon as I can get a new Rivian I will sell them and that will be the end of a lifetime with GM. I am 78 YO.
Let us know if the Rivian is our panacea.

There are solutions to your other frustrations that are much less expensive and or aggravating.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And warranty is not authorizing both banks, only the affected parts. Some may have been able to fight them, and force their hands to make the appropriate repair. But not in all cases for sure. My driver that had the same issue on his December build (we think) Sierra, they would only repair what was defective. He traded it in for more than he paid for it, and got a Sierra Denali with a June build.
There is actually a technical bulletin update that now has the service techs replacing both sets of lifters. I had only 2 fail on the same side at 7068 miles, and they replaced both sides no questions. Waiting on my rig to start knocking again, though loving it again in the meantime while it sounds and drives the way it was intended to. It really was so worth the money if it would just run right and be reliable, but those are big ifs. Really hoping it’s just a faulty batch + bad luck of the draw and that it’s now fixed. Try not to judge the paranoia of those of us who have been through this. It really sucks to be without your brand new $70k+ Tahoe, which you probably bought new to avoid reliability issues with something older, for 3 weeks without any loaners or rentals available. If I can get an extended warranty and the issue doesn’t repeat in the next 5k miles, I’ll probably keep my Tahoe. If not, at least I can dump it after repairs for approximately what I bought it for…

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gosh I feel like I should be more worried about this maybe? Our 21 Denali 6.2 was built in November and delivered in December of 2020. Since then we’ve put on 13K miles, tow our travel trailer all over the mountains of CO putting a ton of stress on the drivetrain, and have really not seen an issue.

Is this really something that is happening all over? I didn’t think the engines changed much from previous years?
No idea what the true incidence is. It happened to me at 7068 miles, but it may only be a bad batch of lifters (and not all manufactured between 10/01/2020 and 3/31/21). The Technical Service Bulletin is PSP5776E. Based on your mileage and how hard you’ve pushed yours already, it seems you may be in the clear. The good news is, the issue is manifesting itself relatively early if it’s going to, so at least GM has to cover it. If you make it past the mileage on your warranty, it’s hard to say it’s a faulty lifter.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I asked the service manager if GM has told them that after a certain build date that the engines are good and he said no.
It’s not a bad engine. The engine has been around for 3 years. It’s a bad batch of lifters. If your build date was within 10/2020 and 3/31/21, you MAY be impacted. Before or after that, GM used different lifters that supposedly don’t fail. Time will tell.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea what the true incidence is. It happened to me at 7068 miles, but it may only be a bad batch of lifters (and not all manufactured between 10/01/2020 and 3/31/21). The Technical Service Bulletin is PSP5776E. Based on your mileage and how hard you’ve pushed yours already, it seems you may be in the clear. The good news is, the issue is manifesting itself relatively early if it’s going to, so at least GM has to cover it. If you make it past the mileage on your warranty, it’s hard to say it’s a faulty lifter.
Not finding that TSB, have a link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts