So now GM is going to start charging us for software updates??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received this email:

"Doug, your Super CruiseTM hands-free driver assistance technology just got better. Update your Super Cruise experience by adding Automatic Lane Change and Trailering Upgrades for $700. Innovative Vehicle Software Updates and Upgrades like these from OnStar® help to ensure your Escalade can get better over time — because Better Never Stops.

After your purchase, keep an eye on your center display for a vehicle software update. Accept the update to install and enable hands-free Automatic Lane Change and Trailering for Super Cruise in your Escalade."

First they need to fix my backup camera guidelines that they broke with their last OTA update.
I NEVER do ANY software updates unless I'm having a definite problem and I specifically know that update will address that problem. When Apple has an update for my Mac, you can click on a link, and it will detail every single thing that update does. General Motors does not do this. I have never done any updates on my new Tahoe. I'm perfectly happy with how it is working. Remember, it is very common for updates TO BREAK THINGS that were working or to TAKE FEATURES AWAY from you that you enjoy. A friend did a software update on his vehicle. Now every time he puts the car in reverse it emits a loud beeping sound like a dump truck backing up.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I NEVER do ANY software updates unless I'm having a definite problem and I specifically know that update will address that problem. When Apple has an update for my Mac, you can click on a link, and it will detail every single thing that update does. General Motors does not do this. I have never done any updates on my new Tahoe. I'm perfectly happy with how it is working. Remember, it is very common for updates TO BREAK THINGS that were working or to TAKE FEATURES AWAY from you that you enjoy. A friend did a software update on his vehicle. Now every time he puts the car in reverse it emits a loud beeping sound like a dump truck backing up.
I agree, the first thing I have always done with a new install of Windows is to turn off automatic updates. GM's poor documentation of changes that an update addresses got me into this mess to begin with. I thought that it might fix an intermittent, but rare, problem that I had since the vehicle was new. However, it only made it worse.

The irritating thing about this is that you spend $100,000 on a vehicle and you expect a certain level of service, which GM has not delivered! And now they are going to charge extra for it?

TexasLC

Reaction score
It seems the miscommunication on this is GMs description called this an update when really it’s an upgrade.

Updates fix system code/etc, upgrades changes/adds/removes features and capabilities.

Being around IT people for work I’ve come to try and always know the difference.

Charging for upgrades will be the new norm.

Subscription fees for anything non OS related will always be a hard no for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63