Snow....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to NE Virginia next January (2019) on orders until 2022, anyone know how they treat the roads around DC area, I don't expect at all that they are nearly as bad as those roads, just curious. I'm out in Washington right now and only real salt exposure I get is going up to the mountain to go snowboarding, get home and run it through the touchless car wash for the outside then take my handy fan sprinkler shove it up under the tahoe and let it run for a bit which works just fine. Also I have a set of MT/AT hybrids not as aggresive as a Super swamper and not as tame as a AT KO2 kinda in the middle, and they are also designed to work well in snow and ice, however haven't had the chance to try them on ice which I don't have any desire to but curious if yall recommend just going out and getting a set of winter tires to throw on her.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm heading to NE Virginia next January (2019) on orders until 2022, anyone know how they treat the roads around DC area, I don't expect at all that they are nearly as bad as those roads, just curious. I'm out in Washington right now and only real salt exposure I get is going up to the mountain to go snowboarding, get home and run it through the touchless car wash for the outside then take my handy fan sprinkler shove it up under the tahoe and let it run for a bit which works just fine. Also I have a set of MT/AT hybrids not as aggresive as a Super swamper and not as tame as a AT KO2 kinda in the middle, and they are also designed to work well in snow and ice, however haven't had the chance to try them on ice which I don't have any desire to but curious if yall recommend just going out and getting a set of winter tires to throw on her.

What are the tires you're running?

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back Country MT's with the ability to stud 305/55r20's
The one's I have look to have some sort of Ice siping done to the main lugs, I hit a patch of black ice this morning after my original post and I barely slid at all.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back Country MT's with the ability to stud 305/55r20's
The one's I have look to have some sort of Ice siping done to the main lugs, I hit a patch of black ice this morning after my original post and I barely slid at all.
Not being a dick but unless you have a true studded winter tire, i dont care which tire you have, ice is ice.
The tires you run are fine for the snow, unless you want to protect the rims and want to buy a winter set, if not, youll be good bud.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I absolutely agree with you there, I just haven't dealt with ice as much as you NY guys have, that's the reason I'm asking. The rims I'm not worried about, they came on the tahoe and came with the chrome already peeling on the inside and looks like some chemical staining. I've done what I can to clean them up but I'm not too **** with these. I appreciate the input!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being ive plowed snow for 25 years or so, ive driven in all weather. you didnt hit a large area of black ice at speed or you'd be telling us about the crash you had today. likely the ass kicked out hit dry pavement and it snapped back on ya.

i dont care what tires you got on, ice is ice, theres no traction to be had, unless you dont touch the brakes gas or wheel and roll over it smoothly. or you got studded tires or chains, and lets face it, if its gonna spin its gonna spin no matter what. aka let god take the wheel, cause you cant do nothing but take the ride.

all that being said, ive found bfg a/t's to be the best damn snow tire. i never got stuck really (getting yourself high sided dont count lol), i was always pulling out the fords when plowing. as long as you dont get stuck and spin the tires, very soft tire, it will melt to nothing pretty fast. and they only last 50,000 miles tops with rotating every 5,000 miles. and they aint cheap either. but a damn good tire none the less.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have been doing 5mph pulling out my neighborhood trying to speed up to merge on the main road out front, it's a weird incline. Probably just start going out the back entrance where it's more flat with flat shoulders. I'll remember to keep all the info yall have put out in my head when I get up there, I should be mainly commuting on 495 on the south side of DC for about 30min to get to work in MD only concern I have is the bridge running over the potomac freezing up but I guess we'll see when I get up there how bad it is. Doesn't seem like it snows a whole lot there.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who was based in DC for a year or so between tours. he just went back not to long ago 5 th time iirc. hes a radar tech so i guess hes outside the line of fire.

anyway he loved being there cause e85 was all over the place and he tuned himself to run it.

dc area is not really known for being hit hard with snow, this year is a bit different tho. that warm line is gone. snow up and down the whole east coast this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne