Snow Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IceIceSilver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Horrible tires for the snow... continental contact but slowly but surely

I agree about the Continentals. Great in the rain, quiet in the dry, but marginal at best in the snow.

I took delivery of my leftover-new 2016 Tahoe 5 days ago.

Drove it in the snow for the first time 3 days ago on the Continentals.

Terrible compared to my old X5 with Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows.

I'm picking up a set of Hakkapelita R2's on OEM take-offs this weekend. I'll report back again after I get to try them out.

Last edited:

IceIceSilver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll report back again after I get to try them out.

The Hakkapelitas were quite simply amazing during the blizzard that hit Connecticut yesterday.

My wife called a bit panicky around 11:30 AM that she'd managed to high-center her car at the end of our driveway. Well, half in the driveway, half in the street.

I made the 27 miles drive home during the height of the storm, with visibility that was limited to a few hundred feet at times, through 4 to 10 inches of unplowed snow. I passed a highway-sized plow truck that was stuck in West Hartford. I climbed one of the steepest streets in town (heard on my EMS radio about a blocked intersection at the end of my street, so no chance to avoid) that appeared to not have been touched at all.

The only time the traction control engaged was when I simply wanted to find the limits of traction, which had seemed limitless until then. The ABS would only kick in when I was similarly checking the limits as I approached intersections. Otherwise I drove like a hooligan and had not a single dodgy moment.

I used to have a 2011 X5 (diesel) that was impressive with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires I had for it. The Tahoe, with these Finnish wonders, dramatically raised the bar on what I'll consider to be exceptional snow tires in the future.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hakkapelitas were quite simply amazing during the blizzard that hit Connecticut yesterday.

My wife called a bit panicky around 11:30 AM that she'd managed to high-center her car at the end of our driveway. Well, half in the driveway, half in the street.

I made the 27 miles drive home during the height of the storm, with visibility that was limited to a few hundred feet at times, through 4 to 10 inches of unplowed snow. I passed a highway-sized plow truck that was stuck in West Hartford. I climbed one of the steepest streets in town (heard on my EMS radio about a blocked intersection at the end of my street, so no chance to avoid) that appeared to not have been touched at all.

The only time the traction control engaged was when I simply wanted to find the limits of traction, which had seemed limitless until then. The ABS would only kick in when I was similarly checking the limits as I approached intersections. Otherwise I drove like a hooligan and had not a single dodgy moment.

I used to have a 2011 X5 (diesel) that was impressive with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires I had for it. The Tahoe, with these Finnish wonders, dramatically raised the bar on what I'll consider to be exceptional snow tires in the future.
Hakkas are a great tire. Generally rated at or near the top. Pricy though.

I have blizzacks and they turned my Denali into a snow cat. We got ~14" here yesterday and I tooled around town in 2wd with zero issues. Had to turn off TC to have any fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceIceSilver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have blizzacks and they turned my Denali into a snow cat.

I never bought blizzaks. Many years ago (20?) I read that they had a tendency to be good snow tires for only or a season or two, and then after that the magic was gone.

I've probably been missing out on good tires based on likely out of date information.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never bought blizzaks. Many years ago (20?) I read that they had a tendency to be good snow tires for only or a season or two, and then after that the magic was gone.

I've probably been missing out on good tires based on likely out of date information.

Partially accurate. What makes blizzacks special is the 'top layer' that is laid down in a 'top secret' manufacturing process. This top layer lasts about 1/2 way through the total wear. After that later wears down you're left with a 'normal' snow tire. I'm guessing I'll get 3 seasons out of them before they are past that point.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Michelins Premiers this winter. Went to Mammoth several times and handle the snowy roads with no issues. I did get stuck in the parking lot at the ski resort but I deflated the tires to 30 psi put it in low and gradually worked my way out of the lot. I kept the tires at 30 psi and seems to track better on the way home.

20170120_105714.jpg 20170120_165257_resized.jpg 20170121_134734.jpg

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partially accurate. What makes blizzacks special is the 'top layer' that is laid down in a 'top secret' manufacturing process. This top layer lasts about 1/2 way through the total wear. After that later wears down you're left with a 'normal' snow tire. I'm guessing I'll get 3 seasons out of them before they are past that point.

Wasn't it nut shells or something?

coupdevill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin LTX MS 265/65/18 4Hi and never an issue, the Michelins have a 70K mile warranty and I regularly get that. From November to April I'm in the mountains and have never been happier with my Suburban and Michelin LTX.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelin LTX MS 265/65/18 4Hi and never an issue, the Michelins have a 70K mile warranty and I regularly get that. From November to April I'm in the mountains and have never been happier with my Suburban and Michelin LTX.

Are these the same as the Defender LTX? And when you say they’re great, is there a lot of snow where you live?