Snapped manifold bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one i have is from Harbor Freight. I just used it incorrectly...lesson learned!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one i have is from Harbor Freight. I just used it incorrectly...lesson learned!

Buy a 1/4” drive that reads in inch lbs, don’t use a 3/8” drive that reads ft lbs. for this kind of application.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust any cheap torque wrench anymore, after using a cheap brand new one I snapped the oil pump's threads.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust any cheap torque wrench anymore, after using a cheap brand new one I snapped the oil pump's threads.
There’s no way you should be stripping threads or breaking bolts with ANY torque wrench no matter how cheap because torque values are so far lower than a bolt’s breaking point that it’s nearly impossible with the exception of tty bolts and those are in the very high torque ranges. Cross- threaded bolts maybe but that’s not the torque wrench’s fault. Either you didn’t set it right or you didn’t use it right IMO.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oil Pump bolts are only 18 lb-ft I believe, must have been WAY off to snap one of those bolts...been using Harbor Freight torque wrench for years and never had an issue (not even the ICON mentioned below, but the cheapest one they had)....multiple independent tests have shown the Harbor Freight torque wrenches to perform on par with the $$$ name brands....would I rather have a SNAP-ON? Sure, but im not gonna spend 10X the $$$ of the Harbor Freight tool when they do the same thing.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil Pump bolts are only 18 lb-ft I believe, must have been WAY off to snap one of those bolts...been using Harbor Freight torque wrench for years and never had an issue (not even the ICON mentioned below, but the cheapest one they had)....multiple independent tests have shown the Harbor Freight torque wrenches to perform on par with the $$$ name brands....would I rather have a SNAP-ON? Sure, but im not gonna spend 10X the $$$ of the Harbor Freight tool when they do the same thing.

I’m actually surprised the HF one beat the Snap-On in the accuracy and repeatability tests. Shame on you, Snap-On lol.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I didn't use it right...i didnt.know there was a difference between inches and pounds when it came to torque settings...now I know!

For what its worth

Pounds are force
Inches are distance

The two of them together allow for an expression of torque

Foot pounds is a measurement of force applied 1 foot from the axis

Inch pounds are 1/12th of that

Now just don't go bragging to the girls that you're 8 pounds long ;)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats 44 INCH-pounds...which would be 3.67 FOOT-pounds...

1 FOOT-pound = 12 INCH-pounds
well if you would have used metric nm this would not happen (Newton-meters)

0.4 nm= 3.540298442733 inch lb