Smoked Taillights - Looking for Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it amazing how many people want to look cool as they get rear-ended. I and others have nearly hit cars with smoked lights because you can’t see the brake lights as well. Especially in the daytime. And at nighttime the lights aren’t bright enough to be noticed as brake lights. I spoke to an attorney friend about this and he said an owner could be sued for contributory negligence due to the modification. They’re not for me.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket protuning smoked lenses actually have a MUCH greater light output on the LED ring and break lights compared to my factory non-smoked taillights. It could easily be argued that they make my vehicle safer compared to factory.

I think the days of the true black out tail light covers (late 90’s are gone) and I could see your point. Most of the smoked applications ive seen on others as well as mine are done with just the slightest amount of paint or tint that hardly interferes with Light Brightness Output(in my case I saw an INCREASE in brightness). I say anyone wanting to increase your Tail-light brightness output should look into these Protuning models...they’ll blind you. I’m uber impressed. And as you can see from my daytime photo you can clearly see the red in the taillights during normal daylight operation.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have regular non smoked red and even a black application that would yield that increased output over factory tails for increased safety for those wanting to minimize rear end risk entirely especially
Over factory tails.

72F56FD6-68FA-4080-A11E-BCDA5D16C61A.jpeg

IamZ

Reaction score
Wish they had the black with the smoked lenses...

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it amazing how many people want to look cool as they get rear-ended. I and others have nearly hit cars with smoked lights because you can’t see the brake lights as well. Especially in the daytime. And at nighttime the lights aren’t bright enough to be noticed as brake lights. I spoke to an attorney friend about this and he said an owner could be sued for contributory negligence due to the modification. They’re not for me.

Changing the ****** incandescent bulbs to LEDs negates any tinting of the lights. However, your reason is the only reason I haven't purchased a set of after-market Esky lights. They are all too dim and the OEMs are $700 a side. Not worth it in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne