Smoke from oil filler cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Concept1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a question guys, start the engine and I popped the hood open this afternoon and I noticed that there is a small amount of smoke coming from this engine cover specifically from engine oil. Its a 3.0 duramax. Is it normal?

Attachments

• D70A4CA0-313E-4E13-B310-CC3FDB7419A2.jpeg
    D70A4CA0-313E-4E13-B310-CC3FDB7419A2.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 0B037608-CB37-4342-9BF0-5DF8AF6B7A90.jpeg
    0B037608-CB37-4342-9BF0-5DF8AF6B7A90.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a question guys, start the engine and I popped the hood open this afternoon and I noticed that there is a small amount of smoke coming from this engine cover. Its a 3.0 duramax. Is it normal?
nothing should be smoking you might want to check for a oil leak, use a flashlight, look everywhere.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a question guys, start the engine and I popped the hood open this afternoon and I noticed that there is a small amount of smoke coming from this engine cover specifically from engine oil. Its a 3.0 duramax. Is it normal?
If it’s really new, it could still be the cosmoline burning off.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could possibly see smoke if you just removed the oil cap after a decent run and just shut it off. But you should never see it while running, or just seeping out from under any unnamed cover...

OP
OP
C

Concept1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its less than 100 miles on it. I already called the dealer and scheduled it tomorrow for them to check just to make sure. I took a video of it but it there is no option to attach a video clip here.

OP
OP
C

Concept1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could possibly see smoke if you just removed the oil cap after a decent run and just shut it off. But you should never see it while running, or just seeping out from under any unnamed cover...
I already went to the service department and they told me as what they saw with the other 3.0 duramax diesel they replicate it with the new ones thats on their lot it seems normal to them. I tried to open the oil filler cap when I came back home and there is smoke coming out. Engine is running but when I turn in off, smoke also stops. Did you try yours if its doing the same? Thank you!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
A video would be most helpful. Are we talking about:

A- external smoke such as you get when the grease monkey spilled oil on your engine while changing and it burning on the exhaust manifold.

B- internal blow-by which is the oil fog and/or combustion gasses coming from INSIDE the engine, seen when you remove the filler cap while running. Or pressurizing and leaking past the cap if it’s really bad.

At less than 100 miles a minimal amount of blow-by wouldn’t excite me, because the rings aren’t seated yet. And don’t make the mistake of driving it gently all the time during break in. Higher cylinder pressures intermittently applied help the rings wear in. So put your foot down from time to time.

booyaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2022 tahoe diesel and noticed a smell and a puff of smoke from under the hood when I got out of the vehicle. The tahoe has 250 miles on it and i've been driving it really softly. Hopefully this is normal. I'll start driving it a little harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14