Slow starting help 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Earle D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried this and didn't change anything. Going to rent a fuel pressure tester and check.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I filled up last at a loaf and jug, Kroger and put in 85. Is that bad?

You must be at a higher altitude (as opposed to close to sea level) if 85 octane is available. Hard to say where Kroger sources its gas, but it's probably not top-tier. The truck will run 'ok' on the 85, but better on a higher octane, especially if you are doing any demanding driving. Doubt that your fuel choice has much to do with your current issue, though, unless you got a tank of bad fuel.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is an easy place to have fuel pressure checked with a connection on the top left side of the engine by a mechanic with the gauges to do so.
The computer actually activates the fuel pump to build pressure as soon as the key is inserted. (Some engineer has provided this capability because inserting the key means you are likely to want to start and thus if pressure has bled off, that split second or more will give time for the pressure to build and make an instant start.- This is a reason to always remove the key.)
The sputtering might have two causes as I speculate: a partially clogged filter, OR on a Z-Flex the sensor that checks for the mixture ratio of the gasoline/alcohol and adjusts the computer could be faulty. It's located on the left side of the transmission. (ck youtube) Usually, but not always, there will be a check engine light and an error code from OBD. It's an expensive part ($460 at dealer) Same problem on mine. I am saving my $ and live with the problem in the meantime which can be very annoying sometimes.

KOTAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ that seems to gurgle or pudder to start on cold mornings or after its been sitting. Had the battery, alternator, and starter tested multiple times and all came back great. Replaced serpentine belt and all new plugs but still struggles in cold or after sitting 8 or more hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
How many miles do you have on your truck? And I'm thinking your timing chain could need to be replaced...

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
When you start the engine:
1). Turn key to the on position. This is the position when the gauges and lights should come on. You may be able to hear the fuel pump run for a second or two.
2) Next position begins cranking the engine. This will be the R-R-R sounds. It should be quick (about 3 or more R's each second). The engine should start running on its own within a second or two.
3) Engine is running on its own now, you let go of the ignition key at this point.

Which part of this sequence do you hear the gurgles and putters?

Is the R-R-R a good three times a second during part 2?

Does the engine start running on its own within 1-2 seconds?

Hey Larry, after I replaced my flex plate. I noticed a strange spit sound during the starting of the engine. I have tried to let the fuel pump prime and does not do anything. Is their an adjustment in the starter? Could I have damages the solenoid or electrical connection after removing and putting the starter back on? The engine runs fine after it starts and it starts every time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Spit sound when you let go of the key? Might be the drive gear not releasing as it should because of either gear damage or a slow solenoid. Make sure the electrical connections are in tip top shape between the battery and ground and starter. All connections at solenoid as well. How old is battery> all clean ad tight connections? Corrosion problems inside the cables causing too much voltage drop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11