Slow starting help 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earle D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ that seems to gurgle or pudder to start on cold mornings or after its been sitting. Had the battery, alternator, and starter tested multiple times and all came back great. Replaced serpentine belt and all new plugs but still struggles in cold or after sitting 8 or more hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the battery and starter tested?

When you say gurgle or pudder, is that during cranking or after the engine has started?

Does it crank quickly?

How many cranks does it take before it catches?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ that seems to gurgle or pudder to start on cold mornings or after its been sitting. Had the battery, alternator, and starter tested multiple times and all came back great. Replaced serpentine belt and all new plugs but still struggles in cold or after sitting 8 or more hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Might have a fuel pressure issue. Might put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see where you are at cold start up and running.

If you turn the key to the on position, not the start position, and let it sit for 5 seconds and then try and start, does that make a difference? If so, your system may have bleed of some pressure and it just takes a while to get the fuel pressure up.

Had an issue with my 2007 Denali where it would try and start then time out but would pop off right away with the next turn of the key. If I turned the key Key-On and let it sit for 5-10 seconds, it would give the pump time to pressurize the system and it would start. Ended up replacing the pump.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How was the battery and starter tested?

When you say gurgle or pudder, is that during cranking or after the engine has started?

Does it crank quickly?

How many cranks does it take before it catches?

Might have a fuel pressure issue. Might put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see where you are at cold start up and running.

If you turn the key to the on position, not the start position, and let it sit for 5 seconds and then try and start, does that make a difference? If so, your system may have bleed of some pressure and it just takes a while to get the fuel pressure up.

Had an issue with my 2007 Denali where it would try and start then time out but would pop off right away with the next turn of the key. If I turned the key Key-On and let it sit for 5-10 seconds, it would give the pump time to pressurize the system and it would start. Ended up replacing the pump.

Yea, does it crank fine but stutters/pudders after the engine starts or does it do that during the cranking process. I assume you mean after started. If so then Wade is on to something. Follow his example and please report back what happens.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a quick check, pull the vacuum hose off from the fuel pressure regulator and sniff the hose. If you smell gasoline in the hose, you need a new regulator. I've had to replace a few of these. The diaphragm in the regulator cracks allowing gasoline to get sucked into the intake, flooding the engine.

After this quick check, definitely follow up on Wade's suggestions.

OP
OP
E

Earle D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. It gurgles or pudders before it turns over, then once it does it runs great.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you. It gurgles or pudders before it turns over, then once it does it runs great.

I am very sorry but I am still confused. If it gurgles and pudders "before" it turns over, it makes no sense. Turning over is just that. It is the engine spinning before the engine fires off when it actually starts running. Are you saying the engine runs fine when it does fire off or are you saying that during the engine cranking/turning over it is acting like it does not want to fire off? Or are you saying that it is doing something strange before you even crank the key to spin/turn over the engine. Two completely different scenarios. Or am I just too old and am missing something?

In short, turning over does not mean an engine is running. It means the engine is spinning before the engine starts. If it is hesitating and skipping during the "spinning process" that is before the engine even starts.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you start the engine:
1). Turn key to the on position. This is the position when the gauges and lights should come on. You may be able to hear the fuel pump run for a second or two.
2) Next position begins cranking the engine. This will be the R-R-R sounds. It should be quick (about 3 or more R's each second). The engine should start running on its own within a second or two.
3) Engine is running on its own now, you let go of the ignition key at this point.

Which part of this sequence do you hear the gurgles and putters?

Is the R-R-R a good three times a second during part 2?

Does the engine start running on its own within 1-2 seconds?

OP
OP
E

Earle D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, when I try to start it, especially cold mornings 20 degrees, it will try, and not start fully. Then when it does go it piddles then fully comes on.