Slow 1-2 shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only goes up to 155F on your transmission temp? Dang that's freezing.. when it was like 119 here 2 weeks ago, at stop lights my coolant temp got up to 217, trans temp to 208. 02 yuk 4x4 Carrying 5 people, no luggage, 5.3FF, tow package with stock tranny cooler, no oil cooler.
Sorry, I'm just amazed at how low your "high" trans temp is.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Not really sure what to say. Was 105 to 111 here. Drove 6 hours. Didn't see above 165 trans temp or 210 coolant temp. Hottest I've ever seen my coolant was 214 towing on a hot day in overdrive. Dropped to third and it settled back to 207. Stop lights it creeps to 209

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Ok. So. You ever feel like an idiot?

I double checked the owners manual, which specs that the fluid be checked at a transmission temperature of 180-200 degrees. While my fluid was "full" when I checked it, after warming the transmission (putting it in drive and mashing gas and brake) it was overfilled.

Corrected the fluid level and the shift quality seems a fair bit better across the board. RTFM....

In other news, I'm still kicking around that sonnax kit. Has anyone used it? The thought of driving a bearing into a hole in my transmission still gives me the heebie jeebies but after thinking about it, it seems the best route to go as far as reliability is concerned. Need to drop the pan soon anyway to get to the filter so I have the perfect excuse to get in there :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts