SOLVED PAGE 5: Shudder/shake/vibration when hitting bumps at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OEM upper and lower control arms are showing $902 on GM Parts Direct. I went to Amazon and looked at the AC Delco Advantage, AC Delco Professional, and MOOG replacement control arms, but the reviews have me scared that they aren't built very well.

As much as I hate to let go of $1,000, if it means it'll be done right with quality parts that will last for years, I'm willing to pony up the cash.
rockauto has both the upper arms oem about $145 each

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird, I'm seeing them at $199 each. Do you have a coupon code or something in effect? I'm looking at ACDELCO 15864153.
I was looking at nnbs I thought your truck was a newer one, in that case I would go with the mevotech heavy duty or try to find some good used ones out of the junkyard, I beat the crap out of my 00 and the original ball joints and control arms were still perfectly fine when I sold it at 312k that was one of the few things that never had to be replaced.

OP
OP
clandr1

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's something I need a sanity check on. If I hadn't replaced my shocks 3 years ago with Bilstein HD's, I would suspect a bad shock to be the culprit here. What are the chances a high quality shock failed after 3 years? Keep in mind I don't abuse this truck. It also seems the majority of the vibration is when I hit potholes or road bumps on the passenger side wheels.

Edited to add: I bought four MOOG ball joints (K6540 and K6541). I'll replace them and see if that fixes the problem. Worst case scenario is I did something I probably should've already done, and it's only ~$170 spent if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

kchotrodtrk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you get this ironed out? i am having the same issue w my 02 burb symptom shows up at 71 mph though, bump not required. do you have one piece drive shaft? if two piece you may want to inspect the hanger/swing bearing. surprisingly my burb has a one piece drive shaft. my shocks are original at 230k so ill be changing em i guess. the only slack i see in my front is at the idler arm (pass side) and steering arm that connects steering box to center-link. i will be changing those right away.

edit: no way this is my first post... i was certain i have made one or two in the past! possibly even three!

~k

Last edited:
OP
OP
clandr1

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet. Between the August heat and my weekends being busy (I have three kids) I'm still waiting for a good time to get this done. I've had the ball joints sitting on my work bench for almost two weeks. I'll be sure to update the thread when I've had a chance to install them.

As for the driveshaft, I'm not sure, but I'll make it a point to check next time I'm under the truck.

OP
OP
clandr1

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you get this ironed out? i am having the same issue w my 02 burb symptom shows up at 71 mph though, bump not required. do you have one piece drive shaft? if two piece you may want to inspect the hanger/swing bearing. surprisingly my burb has a one piece drive shaft. my shocks are original at 230k so ill be changing em i guess. the only slack i see in my front is at the idler arm (pass side) and steering arm that connects steering box to center-link. i will be changing those right away.

edit: no way this is my first post... i was certain i have made one or two in the past! possibly even three!

~k

Apologies as I didn't remember to check when I had the truck up on jackstands yesterday. I would imagine, though, that if you have an occasional shudder at the same constant speed, it might not be drive shaft related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518