Shudder from a stop to a slow start, then foot off gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered a potential issue while I’m in AWD in my 21 Yukon Denali. While slowly rolling to a stop sign in a row of cars, I was giving it slight gas then quickly taking my foot off the pedal. There was a noticeable shutter in the drivetrain and/or transmission. Anyone here feel this before? It doesn’t happen in 2WD and I wasn’t slipping on the road surface so it’s not a traction control or stability control effect, and I don’t believe the vehicle is switching back and forth to powering the front axel but maybe?

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used Auto on my 2021 but my past models you could always tell when Auto was engaged and I only let my ex wife use it when bad outside (I never put in Auto). Even her would notice it seemed funny and I would tell her "you still have it in Auto".

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my understanding of AUTO, you shouldn't really be in AUTO unless you actually need it. For a slick road surface or something. I definitely would not drive around in AUTO all the time. Not sure if that applies...

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once used AUTO in a rainstorm on the highway, caused serious (dangerous) hydroplaning. Turned it off went to 2WD and Drove like a dream. Never used it again, I would rather control the truck then it try to control me. 2WD and if needed 4WD

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I use auto all the time, doesn't do anything but prevent a burn out and functions almost like AWD, in fact when I bring up the display on mine (Z71) that shows pitch and angle and it is in auto it says AWD on the screen, it's been on auto since I have owned it with a couple exceptions where I actually wanted to do a burnout.
thinking you will damage anything by driving in auto is like believing in bigfoot, 2wd is just simply "economical"

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, if you have problems in "Auto" they should be brought up to your dealer. Auto is the same as 2wd until it senses slippage.
Theoretically you could drive it in auto all its life and show no difference in wear etc...

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
There are components rotating and torqued in auto that are stationary in 2WD, so it’s definitely possible to feel something if there’s some minor imperfection in the front drive mechanisms. Could be a loose front differential mount for example.

Might also be a transmission issue if the trans controller uses software that differentiates behavior based on what mode is selected. Just a guess, but multi mode four wheel drive software is the latest craze among automakers.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with those that say you might want to have a dealer tech take a look at it, as you shouldn't be feeling shuddering when decelerating to a stop.

I am also in the 2WD/.4WD camp as far as Auto. I agree with those that say you aren't going to damage anything in Auto, but I just like to know what drive mode I am in, so I never use Auto. My '07 Yukon probably has about 15 minutes of Auto total time on the clock (when I test drove it new and that was it).

I am a card carrying Luddite, I was probably the last person of my generation to warm up to automatic transmissions, so... :)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I agree with those that say you might want to have a dealer tech take a look at it, as you shouldn't be feeling shuddering when decelerating to a stop.

I am also in the 2WD/.4WD camp as far as Auto. I agree with those that say you aren't going to damage anything in Auto, but I just like to know what drive mode I am in, so I never use Auto. My '07 Yukon probably has about 15 minutes of Auto total time on the clock (when I test drove it new and that was it).

I am a card carrying Luddite, I was probably the last person of my generation to warm up to automatic transmissions, so... :)
I’ve found two use cases for me; first in the rain or snow when traction is intermittent and I want to be able to use the go pedal more aggressively without Stabilitrak getting in my way. Secondly it’s nice on technical trails when negotiating a tight turn on a switchback. All the traction with none of the binding.

Generally I share your views, I like to manually control as much as possible. I’d take a shift lever on the floor if it was offered. With a side order of gear driven center differential please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne