Shredded serpentine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Yukon, 5.7

Changed out my PS pump yesterday and this afternoon I could hear an odd noise on acceleration/higher rpms...

Popped the hood and found a strip of my belt, maybe 1/8 inch wide had separated from,the rest of the belt.....

And that strip was wrapped around the fan, slapping around inside, hence the noise @ higher rpms...

Im thinking that maybe the PS pulley isnt aligned? It looked good and ran for a while before this happened... Not sure whats up.

Considering the front edge of the belt sheared off, would that indicate the pulley is too far in or not fully seated?
Or do you think it unrelated to the PS pulley?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How certain are you the belt was installed in the correct alignment on every pulley? It’s very easy on a serpentine to have the belt off center by just one notch on one pulley. Then the edge can be cut off the belt just as you experienced. It’s very easy to do, I’ve done it crooked myself.

You can check the alignment of the pulley with a straight edge held against the front of other pulleys.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am with @Bill 1960 on this one. Looks like you had the belt off a rib when you installed it and that puts the belt at an angle and starts chewing up the edge of the belt. Like he said, check pulley alignment with a straight edge.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill go either way on this one belt alignment or ps pulley isn't positioned correctly. i did the ps pump on mine before i sold it. having the belt miss-aligned or the pulley too far back can do that. however if the ps pump did it you will see the belt is at the front of the ps pump now vs the rest of the pulleys. also check the rest of the alignment on the other pulleys now before you mess with it. the other off chance is the ps pulley is too far out and pulled the belt one notch forward on the crank pulley. did you make sure you got the rear angle bracket back on and tight on the ps pump. if its not on and tight the tension with the engine running could pull the pump to a slight angle.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you send me some images of the rest of the pulleys as they sit right now. ill see if i still have any of my pictures.

found it
that image is still with the old pump but you can compare the shaft pulley position with yours

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty close to that...

I got the installer to the point that there is no resistance anymore, doesnt seem possible to get the pulley on any farther. But it does definitely look better than before and it lines up well with the crank pulley.

Slap a belt in there this afternoon and see how it goes

Thanks