Should I try running E85? Or stick with unleaded.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Hmmm

Well, rust is at a basic form, oxidation. While it's not exposed to air, gasses can dissolve in a liquid. Oxygen typically won't dissolve well in something non-polar such as gasoline, being a hydrocarbon. Ethanol however, dissolves oxygen quite readily. But being able to dissolve something depends on the interaction between ethanol and the solute. I'm really not sure how having a gasoline+ethanol mix would effect things. Then there are the detergent packages in gasoline. Then you have inevitable water contamination, present no matter what you use.

Thinking on it a little bit: Old school metal tanks could rust from the inside. So it's possible, though to what extent: I don't know.

Some of the pumps I've pulled have had *very* minor surface discoloration. Not sure if it's corrosion or deposition.

So I guess, corrosion/rust can occur even if the material is submerged. To what degree this occurs in a fuel system? I don't know. Add to that - while materials are generally either published or can be interpreted, coatings are more difficult.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by knock we mean knock retard, you cant hear it, but your engine can suffer from it. when you get kr the pcm pulls timing, making your engine fall flat. so no knock is best. e85 has a 106 iirc octane rating or in that area. with that much you can run more timing then normal every time. (its like race fuel really) more timing, more power. to a certain point, then it becomes counterproductive.

kr is mostly a wot deal, wont see any unless your pounding on it.

when i bought my truck i saw up to 4 degrees KR while scanning it. i own a tuner so i fixed that, and still im able to run more then stock timing. i run 93 all the time.
In addition to an increase in octane, E85 does a fantastic job of cooling the air charge, which further helps with knock

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to an increase in octane, E85 does a fantastic job of cooling the air charge, which further helps with knock

not sure if im buying the supercharger sweating, who these days is fueling from the tb, or running carbs to a blower?

i got meth/water injection sprayed post tb on my regal, now that for a fact will cool the blower as well as the air charge. id love to see if the meth helps clean the internals any. but im not tearing that engine apart again unless i need to...

if you dont have corn, you run meth......only other way to cool a air charge and raise the octane.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn thats cheap. could have many uses.

i ported and polished my heads. and the piston tops were shining when she went back together.

head porting.jpg

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if im buying the supercharger sweating, who these days is fueling from the tb, or running carbs to a blower?

i got meth/water injection sprayed post tb on my regal, now that for a fact will cool the blower as well as the air charge. id love to see if the meth helps clean the internals any. but im not tearing that engine apart again unless i need to...

if you dont have corn, you run meth......only other way to cool a air charge and raise the octane.
No you're right, it was methanol not ethanol

Video is here anyway if you wanted to see. 40ish seconds in

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you're right, it was methanol not ethanol

Video is here anyway if you wanted to see. 40ish seconds in

thats a mean ass set up. its only fuel is the meth. and them dual carbs on a blower will flow enough fuel to do that for sure.....wish mine would be that cold. i went from frying eggs to being able to kiss the blower after a 1/4 mile pass, huge difference.