Should I take a 3000 miles road trip w/ 144k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
We just did a 5500 mile cross country trip in ours with 190k on motor, 370k on the rest of the rig. I would not hesitate to do it again and again. I do all maintenance/ repairs so i know my rig in and out and trust it more than i would any other car, especially a rental. It’s really whatever your most comfortable with.

carterchapman

Reaction score
230,000K on an '05 Denali. it does a 1000 mile trip twice a year. NO AFM on that LS engine. Great Car...just added a new Escalade to the fleet, so it may go at some point this year.

I have replaced the transmission 8 years ago and the hydroboost. Other than that, tires, brakes, and waterpump/belts every 100,000. I'm still running original shocks - I'm sure they should be replaced as the air pump no longer works, but it rides fine.

rjdjbd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 with 108k miles and just did a round-trip 4k mile trip to Austin, TX trip with no issues. Normal maintenance was up to date, including spark plugs, battery and serpentine belt. I did have the water pump replaced sometime back. Told myself I would not drive her above 70 mph but on Highway 10, frequently found myself doing 80 mph. Drove the 1,900 miles out in two days and was going to take it a little easier coming home but did the same thing again. That Suburban seemed to enjoy getting out on the road. Only you know how well you’ve maintained it and what’s been replaced, but mileage alone wouldn’t scare me into a rental. -Richard

bobsburban

Reaction score
^^^^

What he said. I'm pulling a travel trailer on trips from 6,000 to 10,000 miles each year. I bought the truck with 231,000 miles on it and it's currently about to break 275,000. Proper maintenance on everything drivetrain related using the heavy duty use mileage specs in the manual (full transmission, transfer case, and differential services at 50k miles as opposed to 100k or 150k light duty use), Mobil 1 and a Wix or Purolator filter at 5k - or less if it's getting beaten up on the trip, etc. I did add a Diablo Sport AFM over-ride to keep all 8 cylinders operating full time which keeps the valve train fully lubricated during operation.

We're going to run the Oregon Trail and then head down to LA to see the Presidential libraries before heading back to Tennessee next spring. I'm fully confident it's going to do just fine.

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?
My 04 Z71 has 285,000 miles and i would drive it to Cali and back form La. in the last five years i have updated trans, changed out all suspension components recently. front and rear chunks rebuilt. Your engine for the most part is fine at 144K. change tranny fluid, engine oil, flush radiator, align front end make sure components are in good shape ( tie rods ends, upper and lower ball joints and shocks), rotate and balance tires. Inspect the spare tire and roll out

dwlow09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?
Make sure all belts and hoses are new. Last thing you want is a busted coolant hose in the middle of nowhere. Upper and lower hose.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my new Tahoe, but I can tell you in the Toyota world 144,000 miles is considered fairly new. I would take the vehicle myself and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts