Should I take a 3000 miles road trip w/ 144k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?
I have a 2005 Yukon XL, currently with 233K miles. In Pril 2021, we left for a 7500 mile, 5 1/2 week trip. The Yukon had about 197K on it then. We left VA, drove to Chicago to get on Historic Route 66, and did the entire trip all the way to the Santa Monica Pier. We came back through Las Vegas, Utah, Wyoming, then on back home. I took a toolbox and a scanner, but never had to use them. I would change the belts, but it sounds like you have covered all the bases otherwise. Enjoy you trip!

BTW, in the fall of 2021, we drove up the East Coast to Bar Harbor, ME, and back home to VA- over 3K miles. We had no issues on that trip, either.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
sure why not, I have taken longer trips on much higher mileage
as long as you have actually done the maintenance, the one thing I would address at that mileage if it hasn't been done already is the heater hose "t"'s and hoses
if they are 13 years old they are beyond there useful life and subject to break at anytime.
I agree. I just replaced the "Tees" on my 2005 Yukon XL because they failed.

jrdadof5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?
My 2010 Yukon xL just went over 235,000 miles. My first transmission lasted for 200,000 miles. I drive it 500 miles round trip to VT every weekend. Fighting rust but it’s such a solid truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat