Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did barely hear it and I could not pin point the noise because of other noises and how quick the noise is. All you have to do is run the higher octane and see if noise goes away. It should be a very quick fix if the right octane fuel is in the tank. If my owner's manual said 92 octane is recommended, I would run that, no questions asked. They recommend for a reason. Whether it is required would not make a difference to me at all. The higher octane fuel is way cheaper than the engine damage that can be caused by pre-ignition pinging. I have seen the damage done to pistons when the pinging went that far.

OP
OP
jimr5454

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did barely hear it and I could not pin point the noise because of other noises and how quick the noise is. All you have to do is run the higher octane and see if noise goes away. It should be a very quick fix if the right octane fuel is in the tank. If my owner's manual said 92 octane is recommended, I would run that, no questions asked. They recommend for a reason. Whether it is required would not make a difference to me at all. The higher octane fuel is way cheaper than the engine damage that can be caused by pre-ignition pinging. I have seen the damage done to pistons when the pinging went that far.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The least expensive way to address this is a tank of 92 octane fuel. I do have to admit that it does not sound like any pinging I have ever heard before. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, very inexpensive and important tool, you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership is now telling me its nock from low octaine fuel being used .is that even possible with the sound only occurring when I push the gass peddle quickly and only for that ignition sound?
Any thoughts.
They say they took old fuel out and are running high octaine now to "clean it out " and see if the sound disapears...

Not much for it to clean out other than dilute the fuel in the tank with the high octane and bring the overall octane in the tank up. If it was a fuel ping they would quickly see a change in it after the new fuel starts circulation. Fuel additives difference is going to make no more a difference than what a can of seafoam or berrymans would have.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old fuel? Seriously??? Why did it have old fuel in it? Has it been sitting on their lot for, say, a year or more? I’d say it’s time stop dealing with their BS and move on to something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9