Short Lived...... trade in over MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mar48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, with gas prices sky rocketing and our family situation changing to one where we will need to drive more, we decided to take a look at other options for a family car and were shocked to find we were getting dealer cash offers for $4K OVER MSRP.... Yes, cash dealer offers to buy our truck outright (4 months old with 4K miles) for $4K OVER retail which is what we paid...

We ended up trading it in for $3K over MSRP which put our after tax credit effective value at ~$5.5K over MSRP. What a nuts market with these supply issues.

Note: We were getting ~13-14 MPG combined with about 40-50% highway miles..... definitely lower than we expected. In any case, no damage done as we were paid to drive it for 4 months. Also, the offer would've been higher but I had some minor damage to one of the side steps.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your trim level, that’s possibly lower than the average trade in value…of course the damage hurt it a little bit, but yeah, that sounds about right. Our 22 Z71 with 5k on it has a KBB trade in between $71k-$76k and the MSRP was right at $66k.

KBB instant cash offer, Carmax, etc would probably be pretty strong on a low mileage new Tahoe/Yukon. Other options would be premium used car dealers or just a competitive new car dealer (most have places on their websites now which allow sellers to submit their info in a couple clicks).

we sold a 2021 AT4 Yukon, MSRP $75k, paid $71.5 in 2020, put 45k miles on it, and with it needing tires sold it for $68k to a Kia dealer. They promptly put $81k on it and it sold a couple weeks later

shop around, lots of options, what you’re going to replace it with is the issue these days

MAYukoner

Reaction score
That’s nuts.

I’ve got the ultimate package so am always curious as the new Denali I see come on don’t have all the options. And are pricey msrp as well.

Replacing tho is the big question.

OP
OP
M

Mar48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had a $62K ($63.9K with Destination charge) MSRP Tahoe LT (4WD V8, Luxury Package, 20" Wheels).

We had a $67,500 offer from Walser dealers, a $67,800 offer from Morries dealers and traded in for $66,750 for a '22 VW Atlas (definitely a downgrade on interior but gets what we need done for way cheaper).

Cherry on top was we had traded a '20 Volvo XC90 for the '22 Tahoe, and we got more on the XC90 than we paid brand new for that.... so it's a good day to buy new and sell used.

Also Trucar offer was $68,900 (but again ours needed the side step replaced on one side and dealers were offering $68K with it fixed which didn't justify buying the part and having it installed). KBB showed a trade in range of $70-72K but you couldn't do the instant offer since it's too new... I did the instant offer for the same exact car but '21 model year and it was $65k.... I basically shopped it around everywhere online and got online offers between $60-68,900... so pretty happy with coming out ahead on 2 family cars in a row.

OP
OP
M

Mar48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on your trim level, that’s possibly lower than the average trade in value…of course the damage hurt it a little bit, but yeah, that sounds about right. Our 22 Z71 with 5k on it has a KBB trade in between $71k-$76k and the MSRP was right at $66k.

KBB instant cash offer, Carmax, etc would probably be pretty strong on a low mileage new Tahoe/Yukon. Other options would be premium used car dealers or just a competitive new car dealer (most have places on their websites now which allow sellers to submit their info in a couple clicks).

we sold a 2021 AT4 Yukon, MSRP $75k, paid $71.5 in 2020, put 45k miles on it, and with it needing tires sold it for $68k to a Kia dealer. They promptly put $81k on it and it sold a couple weeks later

shop around, lots of options, what you’re going to replace it with is the issue these days
KBB range, Nada range and actual offers are quite different. For example, plug in a 2021 Tahoe LT into KBB with 5K miles and the range is about the same $71K range as you state, click instant offer and you'll receive $65K. Ask how I know.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB range, Nada range and actual offers are quite different. For example, plug in a 2021 Tahoe LT into KBB with 5K miles and the range is about the same $71K range as you state, click instant offer and you'll receive $65K. Ask how I know.

yep…instant offer is on the low end for sure.

the dealer we bought the Z71 from must have inputted our AT4 trade wrong or something. The lowest offer we received from dealers and KBB was $66k give or take a few hundred. We were offered $60k as trade in value….I tried not to laugh at them to avoid them selling ”ours” to someone else.

crazy market for sure

Kiel9x19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not surprising. Carmax offered me 75K in Pleasant Hill, Ca which was about 6K less than MSRP on my 21 Yukon Denali. And that’s with 20,000 miles on it! I’m keeping it for now just was curious on the offer.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my 2021 Colorado ZR2 after 1 year/16K miles for what I paid new. Was a great truck for what is was.
20210722_160334.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14