Shopping for a 2015+ tahoe or yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10 speed is not that amazing as you may think. I had a 10speed in my 19 6.2 Silverado LTZ (just got rid of truck). I had tranny issues from the start let alone I had at least 12 recalls, fuel management issues, leaking rear windows, etc etc. Talking to my service advisor GM is having a ton of issues with the 10speed tranny as well.

In regards to Tahoe or Yukon. I think your best bet is to test drive a few of them and see what you like. I was lucky enough to find a very clean 16 Yukon SLT for my wife this past Jan. So far she has had no complaints. 6spd tranny runs great with no issue to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sabasigh

Reaction score
The 10 speed is not that amazing as you may think. I had a 10speed in my 19 6.2 Silverado LTZ (just got rid of truck). I had tranny issues from the start let alone I had at least 12 recalls, fuel management issues, leaking rear windows, etc etc. Talking to my service advisor GM is having a ton of issues with the 10speed tranny as well.

I just came from a 2019 Ford Ranger w/10sp. Thought it was a wonder @ first but about 3k miles it just started getting harsher & harsher. Everytime i see some public article/post ragging on the Ford 10sp, i always wondered "well GM is using the same thing and is their implementatino that much better?"

My 2020 Yukon only has 220 miles and so far i barely notice it. We'll see after i get a few thousand miles on it.

Dre013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem with my ‘15 hasn’t been the drive, it’s been the electronics and sensors. Just a mess to the point they gave me an extended warranty.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading through a couple post on here the quality of new ones are questionable

When it come to early 2015's it is a hit and miss. Some members on here had no issues and others had a ton of issues. Some to the point of lemon buyback. Make sure you get ALL SERVICE RECORDS and have a good independent mechanic check it out from top to bottom on the rack just to be sure. Just IMHO.

I bought my 2016 5.3 Tahoe LT with the 6 speed new in August of 2016. So far [with the exception of a A/C Condenser] it has been nothing but plain old regular service. Knock on wood. Just had my Tahoe serviced last week [85K miles] at the GMC dealer and the service advisor said just keep on truckin. No upselling of any wallet flushing services.

If you do decide to get a 2015-2017 just know your a/c Condenser will probably go belly up if it is has the original Condenser as it is a known issue. Mine went out 80K miles but others here had them go out much earlier.

Kimble09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post here, hello everyone!

I was torn between the 3rd gen and 4th gen Denali...but im seeing lots of concerns with the 2015's. I still really like the looks of the 3rd gen...would a 2104 Denali be preferred to a 2015?

I'm looking at 3rd gens under 100k miles. I can get them so much cheaper than the 2015+...any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 14 and 15 were the only options, absolutely the 14. The newer body style does look better than the bug eyed 14 but the 14s just feel more well built and they ride a whole lot better even with 22”s.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 14 and 15 were the only options, absolutely the 14. The newer body style does look better than the bug eyed 14 but the 14s just feel more well built and they ride a whole lot better even with 22”s.
As much as '15's scare me based on what I've read on this site, I could never bring myself to buy a '14 with the previous body style just because....the body style changed a year later (a style which looks, in my opinion, much better). I'd rather risk the quality issues than have an the older style just for cool factor and resale possibilities. Just IMO.

If I had my way I'd order a brand new 2002 - 2006 model but I don't think that's an option. ;)

OP
OP
T

tim crow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up getting a 17 tahoe LT with the max trailer package and pepper dust metallic paint. I have a diablo sport I3 that kept from my ram i traded in. If i have it unlocked for the new truck can i use it on the tahoe with a tuner like blackbear?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as '15's scare me based on what I've read on this site, I could never bring myself to buy a '14 with the previous body style just because....the body style changed a year later (a style which looks, in my opinion, much better). I'd rather risk the quality issues than have an the older style just for cool factor and resale possibilities. Just IMO.

;)

No need to be scared of the 2015+Tahoe-Yukon. I talk to owners all time at gas stations and rest areas when I drive up in NYC. Not one had a complaint. A few of the ones I spoke to said they were rentals and loved them so much they said they planned on buying one for their next vehicle.

If you get ALL SERVICE RECORDS plus take it on a nice long run on both highway and surface streets plus have a good independent mechanic check it out from top to bottom you should be good to go.

I ended up getting a 17 tahoe LT with the max trailer package and pepper dust metallic paint. I have a diablo sport I3 that kept from my ram i traded in. If i have it unlocked for the new truck can i use it on the tahoe with a tuner like blackbear?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Glad you jumped up to 17 LT. Hopefully you have all service records.

You might want to ask your question about the diablo sport 13 in the Performance Section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401