Shifter Cable Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has attempted to and successfully adjusted the shifter cable on their Yukon or Tahoe..... Problem my wife is having is that when she puts it in drive, the indicator on the dash shows drive, but the thing is either not in drive but neutral or she may get a few feet down the road and it pops into neutral from drive. I printed the directions for adjusting the cable from Techline but I am not having much luck. I have taken some of the slack from the cable, but now I can't get it into 1st. The handle feels much better in drive but I am a little concerned about not being able to go all the way down into first. Worst case scenario is that the cable is just bad and needs to be replaced but I want to exhaust adjusting the cable before I have to buy one. Thanks in advance for any help.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a two piece cable.
There should be a connecter/spring assembly on the cable in the area right above the abs module on the driver side.
Release the shift cable end to allow the blue spring to add tension the shift cable then pull the white cover on the shift cable end back. Push the neutral colored lock button down to engage the locking teeth on the end of the shift cable, then release the white cover.
Make sure the white cover covers the entire the nuetral colored lock.
If not, then you'll have to perform the adjustment again until it does.
Hopefully this will make sense once you get underneath and look at the assembly.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
I'm definately doing something wrong....... I'll keep messing with it. I've taken some of the slop out of it but I can tell that it isn't right yet. Thank you for the reply. If and when I figure it out, I'll reply with details.

Idadho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the dash indication does not match the gear, (drive is neutral or drive is 3) the neutral safety switch needs to be adjusted. It has a center ring with an indicator line that must line up between the 2 indicators on the plastic housing. This orients the dash indicator to the gear in the transmission. You have to remove the shift arm to see these indicators.
There are 2 bolts that need to be loosened to adjust the plastic neutral-safety switch module

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts