Shaking above 65+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Put it on jackstands, secure it and have someone go through the gears gently rasing the speed. You can then look at the driveline from underneath and look for anything out of round/vibrating/shaking, etc.
IF you do this, a big IF, make sure you support with jack stands under the control arms close to the ball joints. You need to load the suspension. Also, support at the rear under the axle shaft close to the wheels. BUT, I do not recommend this method of getting above 65 mph on jack stands in a driveway. Can you do it, sure you can but is way unsafe unless done PROPERLY.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on jackstands, secure it and have someone go through the gears gently rasing the speed. You can then look at the driveline from underneath and look for anything out of round/vibrating/shaking, etc.
I would NOT do that, Driveshaft/ujoints etc angles get too great.

I it would be okay if you put it on a chassis dyno.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would NOT do that, Driveshaft/ujoints etc angles get too great.

I it would be okay if you put it on a chassis dyno.
Thats why you put the stands under the axles. Obviously you dont go nuts here and punch it and jump up and down while turning the wheel......common sense has to be applied. Like a loaded gun, just dont point it at anything while performing.

OP
OP
O

On_3_Go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Juat got back from vacation, haven't had time to really mess with anything. Right before I went on vacation, I was trying to drop the driveshaft and check the u joints that way, but low and behold I did not have a 11mm wrench lol. I was thinking I could get it with a socket but nope. So I'm gonna tackle that sometime in the next few days.

I have done the jackstand method of running through gears on a cpue old vehicles with some success. I don't have a 2nd set to get the front off the ground under the control arms though.

OP
OP
O

On_3_Go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whelp checked the u joints, and they are just fine. No play at all, function as they should. Just about to take it to a shop now and let them deal with it

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi, bad ujoints don’t need to have play that you can feel while installed, but when you take them off you can find they bind like dried out or worn or have a “spot” with play when you rotate The caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut