SFA for your OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3-lot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you want an solid front axle in your truck?
lets get started then.

My opinion on this idea is YES. However, its expensive and a great deal involved, so my next opinion is since your spending the money, go 1 Ton running gear and save your self the headache later (or envy)

You are going to want a Dana 60 front axle, preferably from a ford, i say this due to the fact that they are a left hand carrier so you are able to still use your stock transfer case with slight drive shaft mods.
The years of truck to track down are 78-79 Ford F350 (some F250 has it too). the reason for this is the 32" perch width which will allow you to run bigger tires without interferring with wheel to leaf spring. (44" Boggers is no problem)
Anything after that in a ford goes to a perch width of 36", its still ok to do but smaller tires is the sacrifice (but still big, 38" -40"). Up to 1991 will work, after that they go to ball joint style as opposed to the earlier king pin. In my opinion, king pin is stronger and better for hard wheeling.
Avoid any new Super duty ford axle due to the fact the wheel bolt pattern goes to metric so you will have to get a ford matching rear axle.
All chevy dana 60 axles are fine to use except for the low pinion due to the right side carrier,( this means changing transfer case too) this affects lift height because of the extreme front driveline angle ness. Bonus of the chevy dana 60 is there all a 32" perch width.

ok, you got your front diff, lets find a rear

14 bolt full floater GM, why?, easy to work on, easy to set up, and its a GM. Theres so many parts for them and a wide range of gear ratios/lockers. They even have kits to convert to disc brake.
Also, they match fords wheel studs (8 on 6.5")
Pretty much no matter what 14FF you get, youll have to cut off perches and weld on new ones to match your frame width and spring location.

Transfer case time, Ford dana 60 alows you to keep your stock one (till it blows), but if your hardcore into this, try to find a NP205 cause there bullet prrof and gear driven. Hard to kill one of these. They also come as a divorced transfer case so you can set your position for best driveline orientation. Advanced Adapters have adapters to mate a NP205 to lots of transmission choices, (Go TH400 if you can, or a well built TH350)

Now you want to install it, www.offroadunlimited.com can set the install kit up for you, they will include all brackets and such specifically made for your OBS truck (they have kits for the 32" and 36" spring perches). They make very good quality parts as well. This is the company i recommend to all to use. I have delt with some of there parts and they are top notch. They can sell you spring leaves as well, you tell them the height, they send the springs. However, its cheaper to get them made at your local spring arch shop.

So its all bolted in, diffs are in (you used new hardware and u bolts right???) Now what?
Brakes, your truck is now a shit load heavier, make sure your brakes are up to par, the 14FF disc conversion is well worth your money, and besides, they use older chevy front calipers and pads and rotors so service costs are cheap.
Steering, www.offroaddesign.com has the parts needed (and again, ive used these too, they are very well engineered and built.
if your using a GM front axle, you will need a crossover steering kit (this changes the stering knuckle from using the drivers side knuckle, to using the passenger side. (the design of factory steering of these axles will not work with your OBS truck without the crossover kit)
Another great idea is the use of there high steer kit which moves your steering arm from th ront of the knuckle to the top and also reduces the drastic angle of this bar to create less stress on the truck and steering.
ORD also uses tie rod ends in there parts insted of heim joints, which are not street legal.
I have also used RSC hydralic assist kits which greatly improve steering ease (you can turn 44" boggers effortlessly with truck stopped).
These kits are easy to install and set up, and they look good.
Dont over look all the extra little things, (stainless brake hoses, new hardware, match the front and rear gear ratios, driveshaft modifications etc...)

Your in for a big, expensive task, but once you got it nailed, you got yourself a hell of a trail/mud rig that everyone will envy.

There, thats the basic needs for this task, of course you can go light duty (dodge dana 44 front diff, 12 bolt gm rear (or whats in there now). Who wants that though?...... There is much work to do and i advise that you get all quality parts, especially for braking and steering, from the suppliers i listed. Safety first for you and the others on the road.

Any further questions needed, let me know. this is just the basic ideas but i have more for you all if needed.

3-lot

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
great old post - good intel all around - thank you!

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how Ian did the swap on that Blazer. Looks sweet, and he did correct a lot of things that needed to be done.

The radius arm/4 link is cool. Glad he went that route with it. Seems like nobody goes that route. I'd like to do mine that way, but I don't think I know enough to build a correct 4 link set up.

But doing the stacked lift blocks in the rear the first episode was scary. Sadly, that's pretty common around here. I've seen it a few times with some "nice" trucks. Sadly, people that don't know any better think that's cool and safe.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crossover steering is needed regardless what front axle you use... you also didnt mention that to use a gm axle you need a p drop 241 from a 90-91 for the vss so your transmission will work. a lot of people use shock hoops too and panhard bars as well

farwek

Reaction score
I've heard that u can use the 2500 suburban 14bolt free floater and the perches match for the rear is this true?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros