Several ABS codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hubs with new sensors would be my starting point before other stuff.
Critical safety item and, at that mileage, very probably needed soon anyway.

Maybe someone replaced hubs already.
But if you don't know when or with what quality... Clint would be asking... "Do you feel lucky?"

I had both front hubs fail on my 04 within a few months of each other. (I couldn't afford to do both at the same time, so one failed then the other one.) I had less miles than you.

Pcpurvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hubs with new sensors would be my starting point before other stuff.
Critical safety item and, at that mileage, very probably needed soon anyway.

Maybe someone replaced hubs already.
But if you don't know when or with what quality... Clint would be asking... "Do you feel lucky?"

I had both front hubs fail on my 04 within a few months of each other. (I couldn't afford to do both at the same time, so one failed then the other one.) I had less miles than you.
I believe you are correct replace the hub assemblies would be the most sensible first thing to do; they are original. I inspected and cleaned the hub tone rings when I serviced the brake calipers; they were in good condition with no rust or signs of wearing. But the issue may be due to bearing condition when under load.

I can find remanufactered ABS modules easily but likelihood I could replace it and still have a worn hub or two.

If it comes down to replacing the PCM do you have any suggestions for a source that includes programming it? I have used Blue Streak for my Jeep TJ PCM but they don’t carry a PCM for my 02 Yukon.

Thanks again

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get hubs that have new speed sensors included.

I wouldn't entertain replacing the PCM until I ruled out all speed sensors. Recommend using a scanner that can graph all the speed sensors for comparison and smoothness of the sensor outputs. Like using a sweep hand tachometer, or an analog ohm meter on a potentiometer, it's a lot easier to see results than trying to read numbers.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw threads on here somewhere, that mentioned a PCM refurb. company. Not sure what it is though.

While I haven't been on TYF all that long, from what I have seen... Most ABS issues lie with hubs, ABS sensors, bad connections where the harness connector plugs attached to various control modules, bad or damaged wires somewhere or the floating chunks of solder or bad solder connections on the ABS control circuit board.

Sure seems like most ABS issues manage to get cured before rising to the level of replacing ABS controllers or PCMs...

No guarantee, but I would say odds are in your favor of not having to go that far.

Don't go cheap on hubs with sensors... Do it once and be done.
Aim for mid-range at minimum and the best your budget can afford.

NAPA premium hubs are made by SKF and come with matched sensors pre-installed and tested. I got 20% off online with instore pickup next day. No issues since install.

Pcpurvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I saw threads on here somewhere, that mentioned a PCM refurb. company. Not sure what it is though.

While I haven't been on TYF all that long, from what I have seen... Most ABS issues lie with hubs, ABS sensors, bad connections where the harness connector plugs attached to various control modules, bad or damaged wires somewhere or the floating chunks of solder or bad solder connections on the ABS control circuit board.

Sure seems like most ABS issues manage to get cured before rising to the level of replacing ABS controllers or PCMs...

No guarantee, but I would say odds are in your favor of not having to go that far.

Don't go cheap on hubs with sensors... Do it once and be done.
Aim for mid-range at minimum and the best your budget can afford.

NAPA premium hubs are made by SKF and come with matched sensors pre-installed and tested. I got 20% off online with instore pickup next day. No issues since install.
I have a set of wheel hubs arriving tomorrow they come with speed sensors.
I bought a CReader Launch CPR123 unit last year thinking it would help with diagnosing the ABS issues but it can only read and reset DTCs that are ABS related. Honestly it is a piece of junk; has very little graphing and real time data stream functionality. I use it for engine sensors mainly.

The ABS codes are always the internal errors (never a speed sensor) I did remove it and did the solder maintenance but it did not change the behavior . The irritation is that it works until it disables itself.

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of wheel hubs arriving tomorrow they come with speed sensors.
I bought a CReader Launch CPR123 unit last year thinking it would help with diagnosing the ABS issues but it can only read and reset DTCs that are ABS related. Honestly it is a piece of junk; has very little graphing and real time data stream functionality. I use it for engine sensors mainly.

The ABS codes are always the internal errors (never a speed sensor) I did remove it and did the solder maintenance but it did not change the behavior . The irritation is that it works until it disables itself.
FWIW... My bad hubs were causing too much of a variance in the gap between the sensor and reluctor ring inside the hub.
Around town no problem.
As soon as I would get above 50 MPH, the ABS light start flashing and ping, ping, ping (super loud and annoying) and the light would stay on (to indicate the ABS is not active) until I slowed down and got off the highway.

The codes were stored and mine indicated left front ABS speed sensor. I think it was a code that began with C. It does not show up as regular DTC Error on the tool, but was stored.

I ignored it until the hub completely separated on the way home one night. I thought it was "just a sensor" issue. Had no idea the hub was wobbling around and about to grenade. I learned a life lesson there...

Last edited:

Pcpurvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW... My bad hubs were causing too much of a variance in the gap between the sensor and reluctor ring inside the hub.
Around town no problem.
As soon as I would get above 50 MPH, the ABS light start flashing and ping, ping, ping (super loud and annoying) and the light would stay on (to indicate the ABS is not active) until I slowed down and got off the highway.

The codes were stored and mine indicated left front ABS speed sensor. I think it was a code that began with C. It does not show up as regular DTC Error on the tool, but was stored.

I ignored it until the hub completely separated on the way home one night. I thought it was "just a sensor" issue. Had no idea the hub was wobbling around and about to grenade. I learned a life lesson there...
So I replaced both front hub assemblies (245K miles) last weekend. On my first commute to work the ABS / Brakes warning lamps came on. Oddly enough on the test drives (weekend 80 miles) all was good. This was strange as it was throwing codes prior to the hub replacements almost instantly when moving at low speeds. On the commute it came back with the same sensitivity (low speed, almost instant). Having done all wiring checks, break flushing- bleeding, cleaning the ground terminals, and removing the ABS module and resoldering the internal components (prior to firing the parts cannon); my next step is to replace the ABS module. Codes are:CO0241, 0252 0251, 0245. These have been the same codes from the beginning; nothing I have done repairing this has changed the fault codes.

Does anyone have a AbS repair service to recommend? What about remanufactured units; are they worth the cost over the repair services?

2002 Yukon SLE 2 wheel drive
5.3L, automatic transmission

Thanks
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right