Service tire monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a couple hours' research on this. I have a 2005 when TPMS was optional -- it wasn't required by the Feds until 2008 -- and I wanted to disable the system. If you aren't checking your tires regularly, you are going to ignore the idiot light, in my opinion. But there is ZERO information that I could find which would tell me how to disable the system. I hate crap systems like this.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been driving mine with TPMS warning for years, literally. Sometimes the orange light is on the dash in addition to the stupid information center warning, sometimes it's not. I also get the "Service Stability" warning, too. Oh well.

Years.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I bought the cheaper sensors offered on ebay. They work when I start the vehicle, but after driving a few miles one of the four generally stop working and I get the message. I had read that the AcDelco sensors are the only way to go, but I didn't want to fork over that much cash.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these last March and so far so good.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some other suggestions for disabling the TPMS system, but have not tried any, and cannot advise you on the legality of doing so. That said:

1) Install a cluster from a truck that does not support TPMS. No more idiot light, no more DIC warnings.
2) This was suggested in the Duramax Forums
3) You can buy a "black box" from Europe. It's $72, and I don't know if they charge shipping or not.
4a) Place the TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube.
4b) Place the TPMS sensors in the spare tire.
5) Replacing an '04 Passenger Door Module *might* do the trick

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a set of 2013 Tahoe rims (with some nice Michelins) for $175 of FB Marketplace!
I was able to get in with my Tech 2.

Sensors seem to be recognized, but had not been driven when I hooked up.
I believe that might be why the sensors displayed 0 PSI on all 4.

When I scrolled down and selected LF Pressure Sensor Mode Learn, neither the "Enable" or "More" hot buttons on the Tech 2 did anything.20220506_131628.jpg

I tried the E-brake/Lights on 4 times. The horn beeped, but there was no change.

Later last night, I found out I missed steps to deflate or inflate tires until horn sounded again (LF, RF, RR, LR sequence after the horn beeps).

So this morning, after two short trips last night @ 25-40 MPH, I stopped at the gas station used the E-brake/Lights on-off 4 time procedure. Horn beeped. Deflated LF. I let 10 PSI out, but no horn beep. I did not bring the Tech 2 with me to the gas station this morning, as I thought it might not be needed with the E-brake/Lights procedure.

I have since driven about a half hour at highway speed.

I should mention, the only thing I see on the cluster is the Service Tire Monitor message on the DIC. I don't get any yellow "Tire Pressure" warning light. Also, I am total new with using the Tech 2...

Am I missing something or will these simply not work in my 04?
It looks like it sees them OK and I thought 2013 TPMS was still compatible with 2004.

Probably just me not doing something right.

Tips or ideas on where I am at on getting these going properly?

Thanks!

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the battery for 30 minutes or so, then hook it back up again. Worked for me on a 2005 Suburban.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the battery for 30 minutes or so, then hook it back up again. Worked for me on a 2005 Suburban.
Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know tomorrow...

At the risk of being stupid, I will ask to confirm next steps exactly.

Just unplug the battery for 30 minutes and re-connect. And that's it? Stop there.

or...

Unplug the battery, re-connect battery, then go through the E-brake/Light Switch 4 times/deflate each tire until horn sounds (LF, RF, RR, LR pattern).

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get sensors to make horn beep when trying the learn process. Service Tire Monitor still comes on once shortly after start. Odd it seems to see the ID, but won't communicate.

I'll live with it... I paid $175 for the 4 wheels and Michelin Denfenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne