Service tire monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clean04yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I recently bought some wheels off of a 2019 denali for my 04. They have pretty decent tires so I just swapped them out and I'm all good except I get a Service Tire Monitor message. I was wondering if it will be ok to drive it like this until I get new tires or if there is something I can do.
Thanks

P.S. Here's a pic of the new wheels. Also installed new headlights and marker lights recently. I LOVE MY YUKON!

Attachments

• 20220123_132705.jpg
    20220123_132705.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 20

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's okay to drive if the message doesn't bother you and the tires are properly inflated.

To get the message to go away you need to put tire pressure monitor sensors in the wheels, ones that are compatible with your '04. What happened to the TPMS sensors that were in your old wheels? If they were good, have them installed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I recently bought some wheels off of a 2019 denali for my 04. They have pretty decent tires so I just swapped them out and I'm all good except I get a Service Tire Monitor message. I was wondering if it will be ok to drive it like this until I get new tires or if there is something I can do.
Thanks

P.S. Here's a pic of the new wheels. Also installed new headlights and marker lights recently. I LOVE MY YUKON!
You should be ok. I am not aware of any systems that would be affected by a low TPMS alarm, just the annoying light on the dash.

Nice looking Denali.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 04 in October. The 20 inch custom rims it had at the time had not TPMS sensors and the 16 inch Silverado beater rims I traded for also had not TPMS. Every time I start the truck, I get the message on the dash. Kind of annoying, but not enough to run right out and do anything about. I'll wait until I replace the tires this spring. Even then, I hate the idea of spending $160 - $200 for something that tells me when a tire is low.

I check my pressure a couple times a month and keep an eye open for tires that are not round. I don't really need a sensor to tell me that. Kids these days are too lazy to check, so auto makers decided this was a requirement.
Flobbety-floo! When we were young, we walked 20 miles to school. Uphill. Both ways. And we liked it!!! Sorry. I was channeling my grandfather (and maybe a little Dana Carvey's grumpy old man) for a second.

The needle on the gas gauge is misaligned a little (it reads a little higher than actual) and I like to see the estimated mileage remaining on fuel in the tank (which is pretty accurate).
For now, I hit the bottom left button on the steering wheel to clear it every time I start her up.

Also... In MA, TPMS message was not anything that prevented passing the RMV safety inspection.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the transmitter/receiver frequencies are not the same in the TPMS systems in those two model years. As asked above, did you save the TPMS sensors from your original wheels?

OP
OP
Clean04yukon

Clean04yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought my 04 in October. The 20 inch custom rims it had at the time had not TPMS sensors and the 16 inch Silverado beater rims I traded for also had not TPMS. Every time I start the truck, I get the message on the dash. Kind of annoying, but not enough to run right out and do anything about. I'll wait until I replace the tires this spring. Even then, I hate the idea of spending $160 - $200 for something that tells me when a tire is low.

I check my pressure a couple times a month and keep an eye open for tires that are not round. I don't really need a sensor to tell me that. Kids these days are too lazy to check, so auto makers decided this was a requirement.
Flobbety-floo! When we were young, we walked 20 miles to school. Uphill. Both ways. And we liked it!!! Sorry. I was channeling my grandfather (and maybe a little Dana Carvey's grumpy old man) for a second.

The needle on the gas gauge is misaligned a little (it reads a little higher than actual) and I like to see the estimated mileage remaining on fuel in the tank (which is pretty accurate).
For now, I hit the bottom left button on the steering wheel to clear it every time I start her up.

Also... In MA, TPMS message was not anything that prevented passing the RMV safety inspection.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I've just been hitting the steering wheel button to clear the warning too.

OP
OP
Clean04yukon

Clean04yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suspect that the transmitter/receiver frequencies are not the same in the TPMS systems in those two model years. As asked above, did you save the TPMS sensors from your original wheels?
They are actually in the old wheels still. I was just going to sale those but might have to get the tires took of to get the sensors I guess.

OP
OP
Clean04yukon

Clean04yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are actually in the old wheels still. I was just going to sale those but might have to get the tires took of to get the sensors I guess.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Both the 2019 and the 2004 sensors work on the same 315mhz band. Who knows, they might work? Worth a shot. Just need to do a relearn. It's a little clunky, but I'm rather fond of Chevy's implementation as it doesn't require any special tools.

To do this:

1. Apply parking brake. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off)
2. Turn headlight switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A double horn chirp will sound and the TPMS telltale will begin blinking to indicate the learn mode is enabled.
3. Starting at the LF tire increase/decrease pressure until horn sounds. This usually involved a 2-3psi increase/decrease in pressure.
4. After horn sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order : RF, RR LR.
5. After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position. Adjust all tires to desired pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts