Service theft deterrent system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just purchased a 2011 Denali and it has the service theft deterrent system light on the dashboard. the used car lot said they would take care of it but were unable to fix it and if I had someone fix it they will reimburse me for it. only symptoms I have is if I use the key to lock then unlock the door the alarm goes off until I use the key to start it other than that the car works as it should. is this something that deserves a trip to the dealer?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say you need a scanner such as a tech2 or something comparable that can read the bcm codes, could maybe just need reprogramming or possibly something is faulty, weird that it does that with manual operation of the door lock because I don't think these door locks have any security features meaning they don't have any electronic function other than detecting if the door is opened or closed, the key used wouldn't matter as long as it fit the locking mechanism and I by that I mean the door lock does not read a chip key like the ignition does.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's why I asked if I need a trip to the dealer because of the tech 2. but yea if I use the remote everything works fine and no alarm but if I use the button inside to lock then use my key to unlock then the alarm goes off

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The remote disables the factory alarm, using the key to manually unlock door sets off the alarm, thats normal.
Not sure about the service theft light tho.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still need help
like Pete said that's normal they all do that, locking the door locks manually (with the electronic button) sets the alarm, the alarm has no way of knowing when you unlock the door with the key, if you lock the door lock by manually pushing the tab down on the door panel it will not set the alarm.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that but what I'm saying is I have the light on and message on my dash and it's not going away

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Mine was lit today. I used my remote start, got in and put the key in the ign. The light stayed lit--which is unusual. It's done it a few times before too. Turned it off, restarted and light went away. No problems--YET. Mine is an 03 so I'm not sure if your system is more complicated then mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518