Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control & Service Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heathen0042

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 Yukon XL 1500 Denali 6.2L with 165k on it. I have the Diablo Trinity EX tuner hooked into it to be able to read engine diagnostics and error codes. A while back it threw a code for the TPS sensor which I replaced and I haven't seen the code thrown again. However, over the course of having it, I would get "Service Brakes Soon" and "Service Traction Control/Stabilitrak" warnings. After failing to find a resolution on my own for the warnings, (Trying solutions suggested online and checking for trouble codes with the Trinity) I took it to a shop. The front right hub was shot, and the rear brake caliper had seized up. Both got repaired, but I still find myself in the same boat. The warnings still show up randomly after driving anytime longer than 5 minutes, and the tuner does not pick up any error codes. Any input on what the issue might be or any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: A little more information that may or may not be relevant. At operating temp and at idle the oil pressure is right around 20-25 PSI. Also the idle seems rough like a possible misfire.

Last edited:

Clare

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2014 Tahoe is throwing the same "Stabilitrak" code and the "ABS" light also goes on. After a day or so they all go out together and then re-appears in another day or so. The GM dealer in Sarnia Ontario says that they can only find the problem if the codes stay on. If they keep re-setting they can't fix it. Frustrating!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those stabiltrac and abs codes are BCM codes, they are not typical codes so your generic code reader will not see them you need a oem tech2 or higher end scanner like a snapon to read them and diagnose them, there is also some truth to what the dealer told you in some cases those codes are not stored if the problem was intermittent and checked good at the next restart, others will be in the bcm history, your best option may be to swing by the dealer while the code is active and do not turn the truck off before they can scan it. Otherwise if you want to be able to troubleshoot these kinds of problems yourself you can get a tech2 clone online for around $300-350 which will pay for it's self in the long run over and over because it's not a one time use kind of thing it is a tool that can be used over and over.
without the tech2 you could try checking your other wheel hub (when one goes out the other typically is not far behind), check that your brake fluid is full, if the fluid level is low and barely above the minimum sensor level it could trigger the "check brakes". otherwise it's just a guessing game, bad strut/shock, bad abs sensor, engine problem, transmission problem, etc

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2014 Tahoe is throwing the same "Stabilitrak" code and the "ABS" light also goes on. After a day or so they all go out together and then re-appears in another day or so. The GM dealer in Sarnia Ontario says that they can only find the problem if the codes stay on. If they keep re-setting they can't fix it. Frustrating!

Do you have a code reader? You can get a basic one for not much money from autozone or harbor freight. They come in very handy in situations like this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a code reader? You can get a basic one for not much money from autozone or harbor freight. They come in very handy in situations like this.
regular code reader wont work, if you get one that does abs it MAY read the abs code if it stored one, sometimes the ABS code can only be read when the ABS light is on

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right. I missed the ABS part.
when my 00 abs module started going bad it would loose the connection going over a bump throw a code light the abs light, then as soon as you shut it off and turned the key back on it would check good and no code, on my 03 silverado the proportioning valve got stuck doing a brake job, lights up the check brakes light, yet no code. but if you looked closely at the tech2 data it would show low brake fluid=true, unplug the fluid harness, no brake light, kinda weird that it works like that but this is why you really need a tech2 to troubleshoot stuff like this sometimes

OP
OP
H

Heathen0042

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know it is an old thread, but I figured I would just update this to include the resolutions.

The ABS light was due to my right rear brake locking up.
The Service Brakes soon light was a vacuum leak on the brake booster. Eventually the booster failed completely and upon replacing that the light went away for good.

ezanner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a ’11 Tahoe LTZ 158,000 miles and have been getting an intermittent Stabilitrak error then limp in mode and hard shifting with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Two dealers told me they found no codes to read after the vehicle was shut off/turned off at the dealership. Someone on this forum suggested a battery issue (no consistent power to the ECU??) triggering the errors. Replaced the five year old battery and after a six hour drive - no issues. Noticed the voltage gauge was a constant steady at just over 14 volts, not moving from 10 to 16 like it did with the old battery - that was probably clue! If you seem to be chasing this electrical gremlin check your battery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts