"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PB&J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine went out at 4K miles. It was a 20 minute service at the dealer - He said there was a TSB and they reprogramed something... It was a beast to drive while in 4WD on paved roads

Doug_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 Denali just got stuck in 4WD for the first time (and hopefully the last!)

7,500 miles on it and pretty much have kept it in Auto setting the entire time - was completely unaware of these vehicles locking up. Only one or two weekend trips with snow and I can't recall if i shifted into 4WD manually or not.

Based on this trail pretty much going dead, it would appear that whatever fix GM has finally come up with it sufficient.

Already had service appointment scheduled for this week. Fingers crossed!

Jeo25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is anyone still having problems with this? My 2015 went out at 7500 miles, same as reported here. But I only bought mine 6 months ago! You'd think they would fix this before I drove off the lot!

15denali

Reaction score
I have had a few problems getting stuck in just a small amount of snow under one tire. This is up my driveway. Pretty embarrassing. My cars get up fine and even in 8-12 inches the cars get up the driveway. Quite embarrassing. I have had it in 2x for this. I think they fixed it. They said that when it is really cold it gets stuck in 2wd. I don't accept that explanation. I haven't seen anymore snow so Im not sure. The only thing I can say is that it feels strange in 4Auto when I switch over for rain.

Reaction score
Is anyone still having problems with this? My 2015 went out at 7500 miles, same as reported here. But I only bought mine 6 months ago! You'd think they would fix this before I drove off the lot!
I've had mine in 3 times for "stuck in 4WD" issues so far, in just under 25K miles. The last time I had it in (Jan 2016, 20,500 miles), they replaced the "TRANSFER CASE TWO/FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ACTUATOR". The time before that (June 2015, 8,500 miles), the performed this update: #14616: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Service 4WDMessage - Transfer Case Stuck in 4WD HI. The first time (Jan 2015, 2,000 miles), the record says this: TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING WITH SPS. I think this was before GM had really diagnosed the problem at all.

BTW, this is a 2015 (not 2015i) Suburban LTZ.

Cbriggs9742

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2016 Z71 Tahoe less than a month ago. It was a demo unit and has 4K miles. We keep getting the "service 4WD" message. I turned it off auto and into 2WD mode. At one point the vehicle went into 4WD while my wife was driving for no reason. The knob was still on 2WD, so I had to switch it in and out of 4WD to get it back into 2WD. This has only happened once.

I have taken it into the dealership twice, the first time they said they reprogrammed the computer. The next day we received the message again. Took it back to the dealer, they had it for a couple of days and said they secured some loose connections and they believed that was the problem. Again, the next day we got the "service 4WD" message.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but if I'm driving in 2WD and switch it to AUTO, it puts the car in AWD. But if the car is off, and I start it in AUTO, it remains in 2WD. This normal?

Anyonr experiencing any issues like this? I appreciate any feedback.

- Chris

LLM53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 LT Tahoe with 4WD and the heavy duty trailering package (two speed transfer case). Bought it new in August of 2014. I get the "Service 4WD" message regularly. Typically, 3 times a week. When I first got the vehicle, I drove it with the transfer case in "Auto". A couple of times when I started the vehicle, the transfer case was locked in 4WD. Not sure if it was 4WD hi or lo, but it was locked. First time I was near the dealer, so I took it in. Second time I had to have it towed. They reprogrammed it and tried various things. Each time proclaiming it was fixed. Not. The told me I shouldn't use Auto because this would just keep happening. When I get the "Service 4WD" message, the transfer case will not respond to any command. If you move the selector to another setting, the light on the selector goes out. Nothing happens. So, I have an overpriced 2WD vehicle that is lugging around a lot of useless heavy hardware. Can't use the Auto because I might get stuck in 4WD. I can't count on being able to use the 4WD if I need it because if the Service 4WD comes on, I can't switch into or out of 4WD. I called OnStar and asked why their diagnostic reports regularly say my driver train is AOK, when it's clearly not. They argued with me saying it was fine. A supervisor came on and said I should call them from the Tahoe when this Service 4WD message came on so they could do a live diagnostics on the vehicle and that would capture it. So, I did that. Diagnostics said all was while I as looking dead at the Service 4WD message. I said their service was worse than useless, because it is falsely reporting that my drive train has no issue, so their diagnostics contradicts my claim that this happens all the time. They said maybe the OnStar system was broken and I should take the vehicle in to get that checked or replaced. They're so stupid, the don't even know if the transfer case is part of the diagnostics check, but they were willing to say anything to get rid of me, apparently.

Maybe I should join a support group and get over my hatred of Fords.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 LT Tahoe with 4WD and the heavy duty trailering package (two speed transfer case). Bought it new in August of 2014. I get the "Service 4WD" message regularly. Typically, 3 times a week. When I first got the vehicle, I drove it with the transfer case in "Auto". A couple of times when I started the vehicle, the transfer case was locked in 4WD. Not sure if it was 4WD hi or lo, but it was locked. First time I was near the dealer, so I took it in. Second time I had to have it towed. They reprogrammed it and tried various things. Each time proclaiming it was fixed. Not. The told me I shouldn't use Auto because this would just keep happening. When I get the "Service 4WD" message, the transfer case will not respond to any command. If you move the selector to another setting, the light on the selector goes out. Nothing happens. So, I have an overpriced 2WD vehicle that is lugging around a lot of useless heavy hardware. Can't use the Auto because I might get stuck in 4WD. I can't count on being able to use the 4WD if I need it because if the Service 4WD comes on, I can't switch into or out of 4WD. I called OnStar and asked why their diagnostic reports regularly say my driver train is AOK, when it's clearly not. They argued with me saying it was fine. A supervisor came on and said I should call them from the Tahoe when this Service 4WD message came on so they could do a live diagnostics on the vehicle and that would capture it. So, I did that. Diagnostics said all was while I as looking dead at the Service 4WD message. I said their service was worse than useless, because it is falsely reporting that my drive train has no issue, so their diagnostics contradicts my claim that this happens all the time. They said maybe the OnStar system was broken and I should take the vehicle in to get that checked or replaced. They're so stupid, the don't even know if the transfer case is part of the diagnostics check, but they were willing to say anything to get rid of me, apparently.

Maybe I should join a support group and get over my hatred of Fords.
We all get the same issue, they only reprogram the transfer case and problem solved.

FMS1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello first time post. Recently purchased 2016 Yukon Denali with 3,900 miles. Now have 6,300 miles and have the "Service 4WD light" and cannot switch out to 2-WD. Normally run in 2-WD but when raining or slick switch to Auto. Had been working without any problems but past weekend after running in rain got the service message. Front wheels lock up when turning sharp left or right and I had to drive over 400 miles back home like this. Took to dealer today and they tried the quick shift to neutral and switch to Auto back to 2-WD but didn't clear so they now have it in the shop.

Shop Manager told me it would be about a week because the transmission guy had to do the repair and he has to replace 5 transmissions before he gets to my vehicle. Great GM transmissions! Not certain if these are in Arcadia or other GMC vehicles but not good. Also having the Air Bag replaced.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello first time post. Recently purchased 2016 Yukon Denali with 3,900 miles. Now have 6,300 miles and have the "Service 4WD light" and cannot switch out to 2-WD. Normally run in 2-WD but when raining or slick switch to Auto. Had been working without any problems but past weekend after running in rain got the service message. Front wheels lock up when turning sharp left or right and I had to drive over 400 miles back home like this. Took to dealer today and they tried the quick shift to neutral and switch to Auto back to 2-WD but didn't clear so they now have it in the shop.

Shop Manager told me it would be about a week because the transmission guy had to do the repair and he has to replace 5 transmissions before he gets to my vehicle. Great GM transmissions! Not certain if these are in Arcadia or other GMC vehicles but not good. Also having the Air Bag replaced.
Wow never heard about transmission replace that is crazy.
Will be at the dealer in few weeks the want my Denali back and will switch color and is going to be a 2017 model.
Let's see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11