"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVL

Reaction score
There are a few threads in different areas of the forum regarding the "Service 4WD" issue that many of us are dealing with on our 2015 Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban trucks. To date, there is no fix available and owners are just being advised to drive their vehicles in 2WD mode until told otherwise.

This is a clear safety issue and I am discussing it with a well-known automotive weblog that will help get the word out to current and potential owners of these vehicles.

So...if you have experienced the "Service 4WD" issue please chime in briefly as I am curious just how many of us there are here (and on the way) and it will help with documentation.

Thank you,
Scott

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a Yukon XL, picked up at the end March. It was in the Auto 4wd setting at delivery. I promptly switched it 2wd. At approximately 4200 miles we engaged Auto 4wd while driving in spotty downpours. At the end of a 45 mile drive the system would not return to 2wd, "Service 4wd". This occurred 2 days after the recall that was issued for the transfer case was performed. 2 days later the dealer performed a "relearn" on the transfer case. 500 miles later and numerous test cycles to and from Auto 4wd and the error has "not" returned.

This documents ours to date.

Update: Drove in Auto 4wd drive in rainy weather (as the system is intended). Stopped for dinner. After restarting we got the message and it feels like it is in 4hi. Steering is stiff and whinning noise from drivetrain. In both cases, we stopped to eat dinner, so maybe that is the issue. I am afraid that is as good a theory as GM has currently.

Last edited:

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a Denali, acquired August 15th. In Auto 4wd on the lot when my wife picked it up. It was a ways away so it was driven across the state and back and forth to work a couple times before we noticed it was in Auto (1,300 miles total), but by then it was too late. Stuck in 4wd and "Service 4wd" displayed on the screen.

Appointment with our local GM dealer tomorrow morning to hopefully get it back into 2wd so it's drivable again. What a bummer for our gorgeous new car :(

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread may end up being "sticky worthy" for you all so I made it happen. As long as it stays on topic it'll stay stickied :)

Last Chance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon Denali has been in service 3 times for the "service 4wd" issue and still no fix. What the dealer told me is that the problem is coming from starting or turning off your car while in the "auto" position. He said you can switch to auto after you start as long as you switch back to 2 wheel before turning off. The system was obviously not intended to work that way and he said they are working on a fix. That being said he told me they would have a fix in a week and that was now almost three weeks ago.
For me, the best resolution for all the problems I was having with my Denali was to trade it in , which I did this week. Between the service 4wd issue, the 8spd transmission now standard in the same model year, the clunky drivers seat, poor radio reception and a rattling exhaust it made the most sense to unload it now and minimize my loss. They way I looked at it was to sell now while new inventory is still low and used inventory is almost none and demand is high. They gave me $64k on trade and I paid a little over $68k with a MSRP of $74k. It cost me $4k to drive it 6500 miles which isn't to bad on higher end vehicles. I did consider going the "lemon law" route which I believe I would have won with the documentation that I had but it wouldn't have been worth the trouble because I would have lost the sales tax savings on the trade in.
Overall I can say that owning my 2015 Yukon Denali was a very disappointing experience and it is obvious GM has a long way to go to improve the quality of their high end suv's. I have had a few Denalis in the past and had zero issues with them and will probably still buy a 2016 2wd, 8spd trans. Yukon Denali because I love the new look and I need the space they offer. I also should add that my wife has a 2wd white diamond yukon Denali and she loves it!

Last edited:

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our Denali was serviced Friday and we're now back in 2WD. Hopefully the real fix comes prior to our snow falling. They said GM had a 'preliminary investigation' and a full recall would be issued shortly.

Here's some info the GM service center gave us for suppressing the 'Service 4WD' message in the dash if anybody's interested. I don't believe it'll get the truck out of 4WD, but at least the dash won't annoy you while you're tires are screeching and your truck is crabbing with every turn.

qanmESn.png

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this happen to me today after keeping the truck in 2wd since picking it up last month. We had rains today so I shifted into auto. Took it right to the dealer and they called me an hour later saying they had fixed it after "reprogramming." They said they were able to shift into auto and 2wd without issue.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this happen to me today after keeping the truck in 2wd since picking it up last month. We had rains today so I shifted into auto. Took it right to the dealer and they called me an hour later saying they had fixed it after "reprogramming." They said they were able to shift into auto and 2wd without issue.

Same thing with me the first time. Reprogramming does not fix it. If they are cycling the system without turning it off. Before you pick it up, have them cycle it from 2wd to Auto4wd and drive it (preferably in a way that will cause the auto4wd to engage, turn the vehicle off. Then turn it back on and try to turn it back to 2wd. Cycling it without turning it off will not generate the error.

I brought mine in today. The owner of the dealer and I crafted a lengthy email to GM Tech to try to accurately describe the situation so it can be recreated. If we can find out what sequence of events causes the error then we are one step closer to helping GM solve the problem. I think as proactive owners we can be part of the solution.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Our Denali was serviced Friday and we're now back in 2WD. Hopefully the real fix comes prior to our snow falling. They said GM had a 'preliminary investigation' and a full recall would be issued shortly.

Here's some info the GM service center gave us for suppressing the 'Service 4WD' message in the dash if anybody's interested. I don't believe it'll get the truck out of 4WD, but at least the dash won't annoy you while you're tires are screeching and your truck is crabbing with every turn.

qanmESn.png

If it doesn't bring the truck out of 4wd they should not even issue this recommendation to owners. Some will consider that no message means everything is fine while they are tearing up their $70k SUV from the inside out driving it in 4wd on dry pavement.

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing with me the first time. Reprogramming does not fix it. If they are cycling the system without turning it off. Before you pick it up, have them cycle it from 2wd to Auto4wd and drive it (preferably in a way that will cause the auto4wd to engage, turn the vehicle off. Then turn it back on and try to turn it back to 2wd. Cycling it without turning it off will not generate the error.

I brought mine in today. The owner of the dealer and I crafted a lengthy email to GM Tech to try to accurately describe the situation so it can be recreated. If we can find out what sequence of events causes the error then we are one step closer to helping GM solve the problem. I think as proactive owners we can be part of the solution.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

If it doesn't bring the truck out of 4wd they should not even issue this recommendation to owners. Some will consider that no message means everything is fine while they are tearing up their $70k SUV from the inside out driving it in 4wd on dry pavement.

So has anyone been able to have a permanent fix applied?

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up yesterday and was given the above mentioned memo from GM on the problem. It has been given a case number with GM, they are working on a fix that will be implemented as a recall. Good news is, the problem is being addressed. Bad news is, there is no time line on the fix. Currently there is no fix, only the work around described in the memo.

If it drags out to the middle of next year, my dealer has insured me a great deal on the updated model once the eight speed is mated with the 5.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts