serious bog on wide open throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i chased this problem for over a year. my mechanic said they couldn't find anything wrong.

symptom: when driving, part throttle response was ok, not good but floor it and the engine would stumble real bad and then catch but still no power really.

truck has over 100k, first thing i did was replace the o2 sensors. i upgraded to magnaflow exhaust including the cats.next i replaced the injectors with the redesigned spider and the fuel filter. the plugs and wires were replaced. still had the problem. when going up hills after driving for a while i would get o2 sensor codes indicating a lean condition. checked the fuel pressure and it was a little suspect so i replaced the fuel pump. still no good.

while on a trip, the codes came in again, i reached for my scan tool to reset and i didn't have it. i stopped at a napa auto parts store and they had one. i told him about my problem. the guy asked me if i had a k&n air filter and i said yeah. he said the mass air flow sensor was probably dirty, that the oil type air filters do that if over oiled. it looked clean but when i got home i cleaned with the proper cleaner. put it back together and wow, it works.

a couple weeks later i got the computer tuned by justin at black bear. took another trip and the truck runs better than new. got 18 mpg on a 900 mile trip.

so the moral of this long story is, do the simple stuff first. i thought the maf was clean, but even a little dirt is bad. i don't feel too bad about all the new parts because with as many miles as i had, they were close to due for replacement anyway. second, dump the k&n air filter and use paper. the couple of hp you get is not worth the trouble you may have. :)

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The moral of he story should be don't over oil your gauze filters and properly troubleshoot your trucks.

ande6009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every forum ive ever been on has that guy who over oils his k & n filter and vehicle runs like crap. You woud think they would get the point by now, but I guess theres one born every minute:supergay:

Tahoelt1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
K&N are proven to give a bit more power, this is true , but the filtering aspect sucks

throw it away

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
no it does not it does it job. it can filter out hard grit, sand and what not. however they do not need to filter dust particles and similar sized stuff. it is just not that much of a threat to the engine.

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some filters are over oiled out of the box... the one I had on my old chevy seemed rather wet compared to my buddies in a full CAI on his Pontiac GP

Just out of curiosity, is it worth getting a factory K&N replacement? or doing a CAI swap? I can get the tubing, a heat shield, etc, and a decent sized cone filter...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Get the whole kit each is custom designed be reliable and trouble free and totally street legal. And it looks and sounds awesome. Amazon likely sells the OBS setup for $230 still.

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

The included ducting makes a bug difference.

RedCrush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the outcome wood man? Have you checked to make sure you're getting the right amount of fuel pressure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep