Semi-dumb question - Advantages of solid rear axle vs New 2021 Independent Rear Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got a 2017 LT, 4x4, with the 5.3

Is there ANY advantage to the solid axle? Or is the new independent rear suspension just better all around?

Seems like the solid rear would have some kind of reason to exist, is it just out dated, or is it better for towing, tougher, etc?

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that a solid rear axle is better for towing than IRS.
Also, just from having seen a lot of new Tahoes and Yukons on the road, those rear lower control arms sit soooo incredibly low that they seem like a ground clearance issue if you do any sort of offroad driving.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strength is the main reason solid axle still exist and are swapped into so many ********* rigs. They dont ride as well as independent suspension but, solid axles are typically more predictable than independent IMHO.

The censorship on this is ridiculous. Hard Koorreeeee

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, independent rear suspension axles are weaker than the solid axle design.

Yes, every time I am behind an independent rear suspension anything, like @Jeff_ said, I can see all that hanging low and just waiting to catch on something.

Lots more possibilities for customization with solid axle.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PNW VietVet Thanks for the reply, and thank you for your service!

(I'm a VA Mortgage guy, connected with MacDill AFB through a friend of mine, who's a Major (ret.), working with Vet's has really been great, and it's like a whole different subset of people - they actually do what they say they are going to do, show up on time, and aren't a bunch of Pu***ies. Got mad respect for those who served)

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate al the replies, I had a feellng that the solid axle was there for a reason.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
PNW VietVet Thanks for the reply, and thank you for your service!

(I'm a VA Mortgage guy, connected with MacDill AFB through a friend of mine, who's a Major (ret.), working with Vet's has really been great, and it's like a whole different subset of people - they actually do what they say they are going to do, show up on time, and aren't a bunch of Pu***ies. Got mad respect for those who served)
Thank you for the comments. We, "Get in, get it done and get out". We were taught that on time is 10 minutes early. Most of my tenants at my storage facility know I am a vet and when I recommend ANY moving company for a tenant I always recommend only one. He is a vet as well and his company won the Torch Award for Oregon, for having the highest ranked and rated moving company in all of the state. That was in 2019. He was then nominated for the whole country, for 2020, but the pandemic caused it to be shut down for 2020. Most of his reviews said the same thing, "His company is efficient, on time, no excuses and great workers in the crew". "They do as they promise they will". That is typically drilled in to you in the service if you did not already have it from home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree 110%.

Normally I would ask people to send me W2s, etc and wait

Veterans just don't f**k around, done early and no BS

Last edited:

Forum statistics