Selling 2005 Z-71; buying newer [2017-2019] Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has been on me for a couple of years to upgrade to a newer model. I love my Z-71 and have had virtually no problems for 165k miles until the a/c went out on a trip this weekend. It’ll go in the shop tomorrow. I bought it new with every option available and recently put on new Michelin A/T2s. I have had virtually no other problems with it. It’s been a great vehicle but I’m finally starting to agree with my wife about replacing it. I’m looking to replace it with a 1-2 yr old low mileage Tahoe or Yukon 4wd.

What do I need to know about the 2017-2019 models? Any known issues or problems? Is one model year better/worse than another? Is there an AWD option rather than 4wd?
Whatever you do, don't buy one with the 8 speed transmission.

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ceramic coated the new Tahoe with Armor Shield and boy does it shine! It’s almost a mirror finish. During the process I observed that the sheet metal on the 2019 is far thinner than that of the 2005. It easily flexed as I cleaned it and applied the ceramic coating. There is zero panel flex in the older model. And, some of the panels are not evenly aligned with the adjoining panels. But, overall it is a really nice, quiet, good driving and handling vehicle with a beautiful interior and lots of electronic driving aids that my wife insisted we need at our age!

Jpickens

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to read through the post. Ive got a 2007, 2wd LT with 255K on it, that i bought used with 56k miles. Other than the transmission getting replaced with a reman at 186K and having the heat go out, as well as the AC the next season... thats been the only issues. My wife sees the 3 visits to the shop for these (really between 4/5 visits to find the proper guys with the correct diagnostics tools to really fix the issue, as a major concern). Im wanting to keep the 07, and eventually put a 6.2 in it among other things...roof rack for night hunting etc... and use it as a 3rd set of wheels.
Needless to say ive been looking at the 2017-2018, low mileage options with 4wd as well... I dont need, nor do i want to be forced into purchasing one with a push button starter, or all the other bells and whistles. I want 4wd, and leather, and a bench row 2nd seat, on a metallic grey or black if i have to... This is putting me in the 38k + range, at the very bottom, along with all the stupid options I dont want. Those i do find at a price I could begin to wrap my head around are 4+ hours away, (in Charlotte, NC) which with my work schedule - arent going to happen. This search has been super enlightening... ive even contemplated looking at the 2013 4wd for 26K in GA. But the wifes logic shot that down as soon as it was brought up...
Wasnt thinking about avoiding vehicles at non GM dealers until reading this post... guess ill trudge on this disenhanting hunt of something I feel like ill have more electrical issues with than ive ever known possible. (yes, thats similar logic to the wifes - nearly baseless, and unfounded information due to my shoddy research to this point, but mainly word of mouth opinion ive formed... hopefully i can find enough reaffirming intel with more research that makes me feel more confident in what im looking to purchase.)