Second Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but have to disagree. I run my with an isolator. Yes, parallel you also do, reason is simple, is you are isolating for specific reasons. I isolate so I can jump start my self. It premature fails them. My Interstate Dealer who sell's me batteries whole sale informed me. (I have three boats.) I buy more batteries than Wal-mart. With the boat that has diesel, you parallel just so you have enough CCA's to turn over. I have tried to do it without matching with an Isolater, and I can isolate on the Diesel Boat, it has twins, so I have several banks, and they still kill each other.

So your reasoning behind needing the same size batteries with an isolator is because you jump yourself?? If this was a requirement, that would mean that everybody who has ever had a jump would have had to do it off the same size battery.

While were at it, if you are buying that many batteries for your 3 boats, I suggest you buy a battery tender and get a new place to buy batteries.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those using an isolator, how did you connect the larger gauge wire (in my case 2 gauge) to the main battery that is side post? I know the top posts have those nice adapters that split off nicely but I'm having trouble finding something like that for side post.

Yeah, you can buy side post extenders are pretty good. I put those on first and those alone helped my truck start right up. I went from a 2 second crank to a 1/4 second crank. Theres always plenty of different options on ebay or amazon if you just search "side post battery terminals" I think they both have a section, if you are adding a few wires, and need more room.

Not sure if that's enough for you; When I put a large setup stereo in my pickup, I ended up getting a pair of these.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/50549/i.ht...r+audio&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&LH_TitleDesc=0
(they have a website, but its easier to go off ebay). I bought the smaller ones, but they are heavy and I didn't like them. They just wouldn't stay tight with how I drive because they are weighted off to the side. I found a boat company out of FL, that makes their own brand, almost identical but they made the battery post in the center so its balanced. I did a quick search and couldn't find them, but I will look a little more if someone is really interested. You can always just buy the raw squared out copper and use a drill press and a tap to make your own.