Seat memory mind of its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy Schmidt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we got a used 2018 Yukon SLT and have had it a couple months now. We have noticed lately the seat memory does what it wants to. Wife got in today and the seats shoved her into the steering wheel. O got in the other day, and the seat was in the right position, but darn near leaned all the way back. It has 29,000 on it. Anything I could look at before I make a trip to the dealership? They will say the 24 inch wheels are to blame, customer pay

mo2058130

Reaction score
we got a used 2018 Yukon SLT and have had it a couple months now. We have noticed lately the seat memory does what it wants to. Wife got in today and the seats shoved her into the steering wheel. O got in the other day, and the seat was in the right position, but darn near leaned all the way back. It has 29,000 on it. Anything I could look at before I make a trip to the dealership? They will say the 24 inch wheels are to blame, customer pay
Got a new to me 05’ Yukon, sets do the same thing but not all the time. Sometimes it remembers and works fine.
[emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369], hopefully we’ll get some responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it act the same (weird) way with each person? My '08 would move all over when I first bought it. I figured out that different seat positions were programmed to each keyless entry remote. It'd move to whatever position based on which remote unlocked it. I'd unlock it and the seat would be all the way back. Put the key in and the seat would smash me against the steering wheel and pedals grind on my shin. The exit position was programmed as well, and it'd drop all the way down and back when the key was removed. The previous owner had a short wife that primarily drove it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Does it act the same (weird) way with each person? My '08 would move all over when I first bought it. I figured out that different seat positions were programmed to each keyless entry remote. It'd move to whatever position based on which remote unlocked it. I'd unlock it and the seat would be all the way back. Put the key in and the seat would smash me against the steering wheel and pedals grind on my shin. The exit position was programmed as well, and it'd drop all the way down and back when the key was removed. The previous owner had a short wife that primarily drove it.

I wondered the same, but have never unlocked the different driver mystery on my 06. The fob (only got 1 when I bought it) had a 2 on the back, but I have never seen the "driver 1" or "driver 2" messages. I have 2 memory buttons on the door and they work fine, but the numbered fob suggests it would recognize a driver. Not so, that I can find, at least.

I would suggest to start with a full system discharge with battery fully disconnected, and the cables touched together (or the headlight switch a few times, so I dont get yelled at by Brent).

I would then reprogram both fobs in succession.

See what that yields.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered the same, but have never unlocked the different driver mystery on my 06. The fob (only got 1 when I bought it) had a 2 on the back, but I have never seen the "driver 1" or "driver 2" messages. I have 2 memory buttons on the door and they work fine, but the numbered fob suggests it would recognize a driver. Not so, that I can find, at least.

I would suggest to start with a full system discharge with battery fully disconnected, and the cables touched together (or the headlight switch a few times, so I dont get yelled at by Brent).

I would then reprogram both fobs in succession.

See what that yields.

My guess is either the GMT800 doesn't have it (which wouldn't make sense with the labeled fobs) or it's not turned on.

I turned off those features through the DIC and programmed the "1" and "2" buttons on the door for Jenn and myself. Now neither fob does anything to the seat or controls adjustments. I don't want the seat moving unless someone is in the seat and pressing the corresponding button.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess is either the GMT800 doesn't have it (which wouldn't make sense with the labeled fobs) or it's not turned on.

I turned off those features through the DIC and programmed the "1" and "2" buttons on the door for Jenn and myself. Now neither fob does anything to the seat or controls adjustments. I don't want the seat moving unless someone is in the seat and pressing the corresponding button.

This is what I did, too. Turned off the easy exit or whatever in the DIC and set both door buttons to fit my seat position. I'm the only driver most of the time. When my son drives it he can adjust the seat for himself. He's a big boy now.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

I have never found a way to turn it on or off. The only thing I've found is the easy out setting, which works although I don't use it.

Despite my curiosity, I have not dug any deeper as I am the only driver.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never found a way to turn it on or off. The only thing I've found is the easy out setting, which works although I don't use it.

Despite my curiosity, I have not dug any deeper as I am the only driver.
I had an ‘05 Silverado Z71 extended cab that I bought new that had numbered FOB’s, but I could never get the truck to even acknowledge the different driver. Asked the dealer and he told me that GM just defaulted to all FOBs for a new vehicle being numbered 1 & 2 whether or not the vehicle was set up to do anything with it or not. Traded it in for a used ‘04 crew cab Z71 and had the same thing, numbered FOBs but truck wasn’t set up to anything with them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Reading with interest here, especially what Nate said about Brent-God that's funny-now there is a saga for ya, because I have a ghost setting my seat distance and lumbar at times. I am a big guy and it is weird how sometimes I will get in the front seat and after I turn the key to KOEO the seat will start moving forward. It is a trapped feeling. I can be completely out of the vehicle and get in and the lumbar is set for back support that makes me feel like I am 150 pounds again. All blown up and rigid.

Sarah_279

Reaction score
Lumbar is the worst. Does anyone actually use/like it? Maybe the pain and discomfort it inflicts on the kidneys is useful for staying alert on long drives, I guess. o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny